account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

ICS issue: Wifi gets connected to the router but not the internet

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

ICS issue: Wifi gets connected to the router but not the internet

I updated to ICS yesterday. My wifi seems to be in trouble Slightly frowning Face

My sola gets connected to my wifi router but it doesn't uses my internet. It shows connected to wifi but neither the gmail, gtalk, chrome, stock brower or the play store can connect to internet. However, using gprs everything works fine. If I restart the router or the wifi setting or the sola itself it works but only for 5-10 seconds and again stops.

Everything worked fine on .184 firmware. I have already repaired my handset twice but it doesn't solve the issue. So I reset the router and configured it again but no luck.

Any other ideas? Any help? I really liked ICS till now and don't want to switch back to GB Slightly frowning Face. Sony support, you there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Re: ICS issue: Wifi gets connected to the router but not the internet

Thank you uliwooly and josephlopez006

I finally made it to work by changing the channel and the mode of my router. Below are the settings I used and I don't care what made it work (channel or the mode). I am not going to change them back.

There is still one weird thing, when I changed the region of my router to India it stopped working on my sola so I again changed it back to United States and it started to work again.

My Current router settings: working with the 6.1.1.B.1.10 firmware, ICS 4.0.4

Channel:1
Mode:11bg mixed
Channel Width:20MHz
Max Tx Rate:54Mbps

My earlier router settings: working with the 6.0.B.3.184 firmware, GB 2.3.7

Channel:auto
Mode:11bgn mixed
Max Tx Rate:65Mbps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

does it work with other routers?

Update Service (SUS)

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/update-service/

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/Software%20Downloads/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.12.5.exe

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

if you want to debrad (make a backup of  your firmware first

How to manually update 2012 Xperias to android 4.0.4

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/41609

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

The .184 firmware worked awesome but since I upgraded to ICS its not working. Slightly frowning Face

I already repaired twice with SUS and once with PCC still no luck. Slightly frowning Face

I have no way to try with another router today, hopefully I can test it with some other router tomorrow.

I am considering debrading/rooting as the last option.

Any other possible solution that might help?

One time poster
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

it might be that youre not on the right channel

sola doesnt support channels above 11

to check

simple

1. what is a channel? read what annorax and adrian says

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100130145407AA5zj45

2. to check out what channel you are on

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-sign...

3. configure wifi channel

Note: I highly recommend you call your wifi network provider to provide you a step-by-step guide over the phone (hopefully toll free) to adjust your channel. Its easy to do and the second link will help you alot. But just in case. You might want to call them and ask them to guide you step-by-step.

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

I highly doubt that debranding it's going to fix this issue

One time poster
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

LIke I said it worked on GB, the earlier  .184 firmware I had. Shouldn't that mean that it will will work after rooting/debranding?

Also, I tried to test it with another router today, it had an unsecure connection so I was able to connect and use the internet. It seemed to work fine with that router but I am still not sure if it really worked coz the connection kept breaking at times so it might be the breaking that kept the internet going (as I said reconnecting the phone/restarting the router or the phone/ restarting the wifi setting makes it work for some time)

I will try to get a real good working router and test if its the ICS or my router.

One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

I tried to configure my router and check its settings. The channel has been set to auto in that, what should be the right one? I am willing to do any kind of tests without losing ICS Slightly smiling Face

I also tried to change some other configuration but that only killed my router and I had to reset it.

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Thank you uliwooly and josephlopez006

I finally made it to work by changing the channel and the mode of my router. Below are the settings I used and I don't care what made it work (channel or the mode). I am not going to change them back.

There is still one weird thing, when I changed the region of my router to India it stopped working on my sola so I again changed it back to United States and it started to work again.

My Current router settings: working with the 6.1.1.B.1.10 firmware, ICS 4.0.4

Channel:1
Mode:11bg mixed
Max Tx Rate:54Mbps

My earlier router settings: working with the 6.0.B.3.184 firmware, GB 2.3.7

Channel:auto
Mode:11bgn mixed
Max Tx Rate:65Mbps

View solution in original post