account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Ray won't play the proper noification tone

SOLVED
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Xperia Ray won't play the proper noification tone

Suddenly, my Xperia Ray is playing random mp3 songs when I receive a text message, and not the assigned notification tone. I tried re-setting the ring tone, and I've tried re-booting the phone a few times, but it's not working. I haven't made any changes to my phone lately, so I don't know why this is suddenly happening, but it's VERY annoying.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inhabitant
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Re: Xperia Ray won't play the proper noification tone

It turned out to be a bad (faulty) SD card.

I had to take the card out of the phone, to stop 'The Vines - Out of the Loop' from playing as my SMS notification tone (great song, by not so great when you're trying to discreetly text at work!). When I tried to edit or delete files from that SD card, I coudn't.

I put another SD card in, and everything was back to normal.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES
Emperor
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

@eddymercxk666

are the ringtones in the internal storage or the SD card?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

The ringtones are the factory ones, in the internal storage. Even though it says that I have the correct tone (one that I want) selected, it's playing a MP3 file located on the SD card. So strange.

Emperor
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@eddymercxk666

That's rather odd, do you experience the same in >>> safe mode

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Yes, it's doing it in safe mode too. It's driving me crazy, because once the song starts I can't turn it off without powering down the phone

Emperor
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@eddymercxk666

What if you clear the phone app and music/walkman app data?

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I've just taken the SD card out for now, as the MP3's are on it. It stopped the problem, of course..

I just received a new Z3 Compact that I'm going to set up tonight, and I'm going to forget about this Xperia Ray for now.

Thanks for the help Uliwooly, it has been greatly appreciated.

Emperor
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@eddymercxk666

Anytime

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

It turned out to be a bad (faulty) SD card.

I had to take the card out of the phone, to stop 'The Vines - Out of the Loop' from playing as my SMS notification tone (great song, by not so great when you're trying to discreetly text at work!). When I tried to edit or delete files from that SD card, I coudn't.

I put another SD card in, and everything was back to normal.

Thanks.

Emperor
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

@eddymercxk666

Great to hear that it's working now