account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Xperia Ray vs Android Open Accessory?

SOLVED
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Xperia Ray vs Android Open Accessory?

Hi,

In short:

Does the Xperia support Android Open Accessory?

Long version:

I am considering buying the Xperia Ray, but central to my considerations is whether the Ray has Android Open Accessory support. Can anyone confirm or that the Ray either does or does not support this?

According to http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/adk.html Android Open Accessory support is backported to 2.3.4, which the Ray seems to recently have been upgraded to. However it is also stated on the webpage that: "Accessory mode is ultimately dependent on the device's hardware and not all devices will support accessory mode".

I hope someone can help me with my question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oracle
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Re: Xperia Ray vs Android Open Accessory?

Sorry to hear that - anyway Johan got a response. He's on paternity leave though so I'll post it instead. Slightly smiling Face

"We don't have support for this in the current software but we are planning to add this in our coming platforms."

So, right now - no. In the future - hopefully. At least there are plans for this. Let's hope they don't change. Slightly smiling Face

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

At first glance, it does not appear we support this service.

However, I'd like you to help me understand a little more about this service (considering this is developer, you aren't looking for USB-on-the-go are you, to connect a hard-drive?

Are you a developer, what is your use-case?

Let me know! Slightly smiling Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

A clarification is indeed appropiate.

Yes I am a developer, and I would like to hook up it up with this: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardADK in order to hook up all kinds of sensors and actuators Slightly smiling Face

The only indication I have found that the Ray possible could support the Android Open Accessory is from this blog-post: http://medea.mah.se/2011/09/hacking-the-xperia-mobile-computing-with-fire-steel-twin-boxes/, which describes hooking up an Xperia phone (from the picture I am guessing the Xperia Play) to aforementioned Arduino board. But since I can neither find indication that the Play does or does not support Android Open Accessory, I am left wondering whether it is a little-mentioned feature, or perhaps the Play phones used in the blog post were tweaked versions handed out by SonyEricsson.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

I've forwarded this to the developer team, hopefully they can shine some light on this.

I'll get back to you as soon as I hear anything.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for looking into my question.

However the deadline for my project has passed and I ended up going in another direction than Arduino <-> Android interfacing. While this means that it does not have much relevance for me anymore (I should have posted this in this thread, I know), I am still curious whether the Ray supports Android Open Accessory Slightly smiling Face

I look forward to seeing a clarification!

Oracle
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Sorry to hear that - anyway Johan got a response. He's on paternity leave though so I'll post it instead. Slightly smiling Face

"We don't have support for this in the current software but we are planning to add this in our coming platforms."

So, right now - no. In the future - hopefully. At least there are plans for this. Let's hope they don't change. Slightly smiling Face

View solution in original post

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Thank you very much for clarifying!

I will keep looking for when/if the Ray (or another phone with similar form factor and pixel density) is going to support Android Open Accessory Slightly smiling Face

I have updated the thread with correct and helpful answers.

Oracle
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Thanks! Slightly smiling Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Well done good jobhttp://www.kread.info/g.gif