account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Go infiltrated by water

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 33
Message 1 of 33

Xperia Go infiltrated by water

Hello guys, I'm from Philippines and I bought my Xperia Go last year of November and was very excited with this new phone of mine so I decided to test its resistance to water and it's other specs. After dipping my phone in the water, I unlocked my phone and noticed that there was water inside the screen. I was scared of what might happen to the mother board if the moisture gets in so after searching the internet of possible solutions on what to do with my phone I decided to blow dry it using my hair dryer and after blow drying it there was still water inside so I read another solution and decided again to put it in the rice dispenser over night so that the moisture will be absorbed by the rice, After waking up that morning, I went to check on my phone to see if there was still water inside, I was greatly  disappointed when I saw that there are still some water inside and I decided to go to the Service Center located in Mall of Asia. After a week, I called the service center for a status check and the agent said that they need another week before they can return the device. So after waiting for 2 long weeks I received my phone, it was good as new. So AGAIN I tested my phone and dip in the water, and the same result happened. Water infiltrated my device, I was anxious and I felt cheated by Sony because of what they said in their advertisement saying it’s the most durable, smart and sleek phone they have. 

After returning to the service center, they said that my warranty might get void after what happened. I was near tears when they said that, and the technician said that there was also a possibility that the phone might die (stop operating forever) I didn’t say anything to the technician and just decided to go home and rant on what happened and it this on the internet. After a week, they returned my phone and it was good as new again so I asked the female technician if my phone is still water proof and she annoyingly corrected me that it is "water resistant not water proof" so I said OKAY, but can I still dip it in water? She said yes but I have to cover the mic at the front of the phone and at the back near the camera. After those two incidents, I decided not to wet my phone again and never to let water touch it.

May I ask if this problem also happened to anyone and what they did as a solution to this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 15 of 33
Message 15 of 33

Re: Xperia Go infiltrated by water

If water enters your phone when you dip it in water with all covers closed then there's something wrong with it and it needs to be repaired/replaced by a service location. You should not have to cover the microphone or speaker.

The phone is however not intended to be used under water for longer periods. As uliwooly says, IP67 means that the phone can be submerged down to 1m for 30 minutes but if you start swimming with it you get another water pressure and leaving the phone in water for a longer time can cause water to enter the phone.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

32 REPLIES
Elite
Message 2 of 33
Message 2 of 33

it seems they either lie to your or they are misinformed, the Xperia Go is IP67

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-go/specifications/

so as long as you close all the flaps (correctly) you can submerge your phone in fresh water

[2] This product is rated IP67 according to the International Protection classification system. IP67 indicates that when the phone is correctly mounted to maintain its dust and water resistant qualities, there is no ingress of dust (digit 6) and that ingress of water (digit 7) in harmful quantity shall not be possible if the device is dropped in fresh water under up to 1 meter of submersion for a duration of maximum 30 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

6Dust tightNo ingress of dust; complete protection against contact

7Immersion up to 1 mIngress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).Test duration: 30 minutes

Immersion at depth of at least 1 m measured at bottom of device, and at least 15 cm measured at top of device

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 3 of 33
Message 3 of 33

As I have checked my phone, I noticed that the water did enter the mic area and because it is the first part of the screen that got wet. Is it by any chance that my phone's mic is not covered by anything? Because I know thats where the water have entered.

Elite
Message 4 of 33
Message 4 of 33

it should be water proof, just like at the Xperia Z, it has mics, speakers all over and its water proof smile happy

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 5 of 33
Message 5 of 33

Is it possible that my phone is a defect? Because water keeps entering my phone and I am very sure that all the flaps are sealed.

Visitor
Message 6 of 33
Message 6 of 33

pnoy! Bat yung sa akin okay nmn ilubog sa pool. no probs all working parin.  smile happy ask lng sa mismo sony shop mo ba sya na bili?

One time poster
Message 7 of 33
Message 7 of 33

Nope, sa greentel Lucena po siya binili. smile happy but since lagi siyang pinapasukan ng water my possibility po na defect yung phone ko.

Elite
Message 8 of 33
Message 8 of 33

a reminder that this is a English only forum silly

Visitor
Message 9 of 33
Message 9 of 33

Siguro..kasi yung sakin d nmn pinapasok eh. para wla ka nlng problema wag mo nlng uli i test ilubog sa water. kaso andun parin yung confuse eh noh! siguro lagi lng sayo na tatapat yung phone na hnd 100% working..  

One time poster
Message 10 of 33
Message 10 of 33

Sorry about that smile happy Anyways, what can you suggest that I do about my phone? Because I really, really want to film under water without buying another phone and without it being void of its warranty.