account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Xperia Arc housing cracks?

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 31 of 381
Message 31 of 381

Re: Xperia Arc housing cracks?

New update in facebook :

The  information I have doesn't say if the new housing is made out of  different material or how this is done. Just that it will be fixed if  handed in to a repair centre.
I will try to get some info on this but for the time being I don't have any more info than what I posted in my previous comment.

@Duncan & Albert,
This  will be fixed under warranty and since we don't offer world wide  warranty I don't think this can be done in your case since a UK sold  phone doesn't have warranty in Australia.
I suggest you contact the  Australian contact center and ask about this. Maybe they can help. Phone  number: 1-300-650-050 (Toll Free).

-Markus

Emperor
Message 32 of 381
Message 32 of 381

Up

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 33 of 381
Message 33 of 381

uliwooly,

No cracks - yet - whatso ever Neutral Face  I use a plastic cover who are specielly design for ARC - and yes, its light and slim and easy to handle, you hardly notice its on and you can get it transparent or in different color. As you can see it covers and protect the Arc back and all sides and its like a "bumper" so to speak. Maybe this will help a little.

Emperor
Message 34 of 381
Message 34 of 381

Now I got one crack, and the odd thing is that I take care of my Arc, it has never been dropped, or under pressure or on extreme conditions

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 35 of 381
Message 35 of 381

That´s really bad Thinking Face Where exactly?  I´m pretty sure that you have handle it gently - do you carry it in your shirt pocket or in your jeans? - The Arc is very thin and very slim and looong - its easy to twist it or smash it (gently) without even notice it. If this problem is Sonyericssons fault - we all hope they will replace it with new ones. Angry Face

Emperor
Message 36 of 381
Message 36 of 381

I have a protective case for it, I don't carry it on any pocket that will put pressure on it, the crack is  like the picture on the top Slightly frowning Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 37 of 381
Message 37 of 381

I must be lucky. So far no cracks after several months of using this phone.

I usually have my phone in my pants/jeans front pockets when I am out and about.

I take it out when I sit down as I do not want to put pressure on it

I am also very careful with my phone. No scratches or dents yet. Still looks in mint condition.

I put my phone in a soft, scratch free and anti static pouch.

http://store.moshimonde.com/ipouch-black.html

The pouch was designed to fit the iPhones but I have used them for my other SE phones.

I find these pouches very durable and cleans the smudges on the phone too. You can even wash them when it gets dirty after some time.

It can last for years. I had one for about 5 years and would have possibly had it longer if I did not loose it in a taxi during one of my overseas trips.

Emperor
Message 38 of 381
Message 38 of 381

I wonder if SE will replace them (before the cracks spread)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 39 of 381
Message 39 of 381

Good question.

I hope SE is not like the insurance companies which normally try to find ways to avoid paying up when a claim is made.

If they do, it must be within the warranty period I suppose to be fair.

Enthusiast
Message 40 of 381
Message 40 of 381

Have had the housing replaced on my Arc just a couple of weeks ago, but the main reason for that was because i dropped it onto marble flooring and there was a noticeable chip at the top right hand of the device. Though i had noticed before the phone dropping, that there was a hair-line crack on my unit too.  Fingers crossed the same thing wont happen to the new housing.  Here's hoping.