account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Xperia Arc housing cracks?

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 371 of 381
Message 371 of 381

Re: Xperia Arc housing cracks?

Oh my?!?
Purposely, the case was designed for the cracks, you think?

Then I'll just have to keep the casing as it is and however I use my Arc S carefully, cracks do eventually come out..... Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 372 of 381
Message 372 of 381

it was not designed for cracks, it is a factory fault iun the desing, which is perhaps what you mean. If you replace the casing it will be the same design and that is why it will break again.

I have had my phone in a noreve leather case since the day I got the phone, and the cracks appeared within 3 weeks of me getting the phone.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 373 of 381
Message 373 of 381

Bought my Arc S (Pure White) back in mid-July. Was purchased brand new.

A small crack, approx. 2mm in length, started appearing above the proximity sensor around 7 days after purchase. It's now been around 3 months since I purchased, and that crack is now a good 4mm long.

So far, the crack on my phone hasn't yet 'seperated'. So it's still a cracked line, not a gaping hole that some darker-coloured phones seem to be suffering from. Guess the white paint is helping to an extent (though that's not why I bought the Pure White in the first place...).

I have been offered a free repair but wanted to ask a question before I commit to it. Looking at some Youtube disassembly videos, I see that the front housing is actually pretty much the entire chassis of the phone. To replace the housing means to pretty much replace the entire casing (minus the chrome sides and the back cover).

Now, under the battery, there is a IMEI adhesive that details the IMEI number, the SI number etc. This label is stuck on the chassis, which also happens to consist the front housing. If I do commit to the repair (that is, getting the housing replaced), I was wondering if I'll end up losing that label? Or is it general practice that the label is reprinted and stuck onto the new housing?

I ask this question as I'm thinking about the resale value; a missing IMEI label usually indicates the phone has suffered damage in the past (to the point a housing repair was required), or the phone was stolen etc etc. Hence affecting the resale value.

Plus, there are some contradictory reports of 'reinforced' housing. Can any of the mods / support staff please confirm? If it is reinforced housing, why are a considerable number of a people reporting the cracks returning?

The Arc S is a great phone but considering it's a 2011 flagship for Sony (Ericsson), and the blatant botch-up jobs I'm reading here, I'm hesitant on keeping it. Heck, with quite a few people reporting the cracks returning even after THREE replacements, I don't know whether I want to go through the hassle (it's a 2 week per repair wait where I live).

Yeah... With the crack the phone is pretty much impossible to resell unless I make a considerable loss. Moreso if it is missing the IMEI label AND the crack returns (quite quickly too from what I'm reading).

I should also add; the included leather pouch may be causing an accelerated growth in the cracks. From how much people insert their phones into it (bottom first), since one has to PINCH the phone's top (near the proximity sensor) to remove it from the sleeve, I cannot see this being good for the proximity sensor area due to the amount of force and the number of times it has to endure said force.

One time poster
Message 374 of 381
Message 374 of 381

1. I do not know about the IMEI sticker, cannot comment

2. Replacing the cover is not going to solve anything as all you will be doing is replacing the cracked cover with the same faulty design. The new cover will crack just as fast. As far as I am aware thewre has been no redesigned cover released, hence the reports you have seen of the identical problem occurring when the cover is replaced

3. Any use of the phone at all, pressure by ear/face whilst talking on the phone is enough to cause the cover to crack. I had my phone in a Noreve hard cover (flip top) from the day I purchased it, the cover still cracked within 3 weeks.

One time poster
Message 375 of 381
Message 375 of 381

@sushimonster: I had got my chassis thing replaced once and what happened after that was even more pathetic..

The Entire thing was replaced after a lot of deliberations and frustration. When I gave my phone for the replacement, the chrome strip on the side was damaged by the stupid sony guy which he straightaway refused to acknowledge after I came to take the phone back.

The IMEI sticker is taken off from the old chassis of your phone and is put on the new one on the exact same place, but it looks as if it's a second hand phone or some sticker put by you rather than a new phone chassis. But whatever SE does the crack is gonna reappear soon whatever you may do.

One time poster
Message 376 of 381
Message 376 of 381

I proudly announce that my Arc S has lost its virgini... sorry! ..has cracked!!! Yes, guys I proudly joined your club. It is a very very fine line half a hair wide... But it's there. Near the proximity sensor on the upper side of it. It does not go all the way to the chrome strip, though.

@ritesh_dogar that is why I won't get it replaced or anything of the kind. I'll keep it that way.....

One time poster
Message 377 of 381
Message 377 of 381

Ya the same problem me facing too. I ahve arc S from 2 months I can see little crack near the proximity sensor. I also take much care of my cell and never dropped it or rough handled it. But why then its cracking? and what is the possible action to be taken? Support please help.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 378 of 381
Message 378 of 381

But why then its cracking? and what is the possible action to be taken? Support please help.

The main cause for these cracks are cunstructional flaws. The only thing you can do is send your device to a local repair center and get the covering replaced.

Rookie
Message 379 of 381
Message 379 of 381

but in 3 or 4 month , it will be back !!

Visitor
Message 380 of 381
Message 380 of 381

What you can do is, well if you live in Sweden and you got the crack 2nd time, you can get a new free phone if you send it in to the store where you bought it from. And that's what Im going to do, stupid cracks all over the front... UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!! BITCH PLEASE!!!