account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

When will 4.0 be released to the 2011 Xperias? (Bad news, March 2012)

SOLVED
Commissioner
Message 11 of 93
Message 11 of 93

Re: When will 4.0 be released to the 2011 Xperias? (Bad news, March 2012)

I have a love-hate relationship with Google. Uncritical fanboyism of any multinational mega-corporation is unhealthy and bad for consumers.

I will criticise Sony Ericsson when they deserve criticism, but all the problems around updates lie squarely with Google. They need to move to a Firefox-like model of development.

Forum Legend
Message 12 of 93
Message 12 of 93

on that note, Sony Ericsson had the chance to be that partner since more than a year ago, when Google released Nexus 1, they contacted Sony Ericsson to work with them and produce the Nexus One but what did SE did? they said NO

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 13 of 93
Message 13 of 93

They actually started work according to this: http://ausdroid.net/2011/08/16/the-nexus-program-the-basics-of-how-it-works/

"The second Nexus device was meant to be the Xperia Play, but Sony Ericsson pulled out with two weeks before the end of the development stage. That’s when Samsung stepped in and designed and manufactured the Nexus S in the time span of 2-3 weeks. Impressive."

Forum Legend
Message 14 of 93
Message 14 of 93

so Sony ericsson had not one but two shots to work with Google, maybe now that it will be Sony Ericsson we'll see changes

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 15 of 93
Message 15 of 93

I reckon Motorola will be in with a good chance at developing the next Nexus phone... Slightly smiling Face

Forum Legend
Message 16 of 93
Message 16 of 93

well motorola is part of google now, so yeah but Samsung it's doing a great job releasing great phones

Visitor
Message 17 of 93
Message 17 of 93

I didn't mean like as in iFanboyism type like, but I would say choose the lesser evil. Again if I may say, vanilla android updates are pretty fast, for example Nexus S. Manufacturers however, take time to port it to their target because they need a lot of validation. bricking a phone is disaster and with hundreds of countries on earth I am sure testing the variants is no trivial task.

Related to the firefox type of development it is great for the user, but a problem for the manufacturer, because unlike an os firefox bugs can be pretty much ignored but on a phone the behaviours are not acceptable. And add to that the fact that firefox release versions on almost a fornightly basis that is going to be a nightmare to everybody. 3.6, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  in one year... that is going to kill any manufacturer. is there anyone who tracks the firefox nightlies... we are not even counting the minor releases. we already know 10 and 11 are available ( alpha )... so ...

Choose the lesser evil ...

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 18 of 93
Message 18 of 93

I've been in the software development game for over 20 years and I think 4 months is a pretty good turnaround - don't forget that most of this is going to be testing once they get the SE additions and drivers working on ICS.  Personally I think that the more testing they do the better.

The CyanogenMod guys have asked people to wait 2 months for ICS ports (i.e. CM9) to popular Android handsets - with very little in the way of testing (the actual CM9 users will be doing most of that!).  So SE are saying March for an official release?  That's not bad.

Other manufacturers aren't so open about ICS so I think people cut SE some slack here.  You can always give CM9 a try when it's available if you really can't wait (and can unlock your bootloader).

And as someone has already said, imagine if they rushed it and bricked a load of phones...

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 19 of 93
Message 19 of 93

I think Google would prefer different manufacturers to develop each Nexus device rather than show any favouritism.  They took some flack about the upcoming Motorola acquisition from some of their Android partners so it's in their interests.

Not so long ago the rumour was that LG were going to develop this year's Nexus!

Forum Legend
Message 20 of 93
Message 20 of 93

I hardly doubt they just got ICS, if you recalled when the Xperia Arc was announced and was shown it came with Android 2.3.4, at the time 2.3.4 wasn't even official but they were testing it back then, many many months later it was finally released to the Xperias. I wouldn't make sense that Google will release the code to all people and manufacturers at the same time, specially since google has been working with all this manufacturers to know what to implement, maybe the final version wasn't available until resent but most likely SE had ICS for a while now