account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Clicking audio output on Arc S

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Clicking audio output on Arc S

Relatively new user of an Arc S.

I guess I'm back, though this time with a potential bug report that may have been rectified in ICS (though I personally doubt it). I say potential as this has the chance to be a hardware issue rather than software based.

Basically, I connected my Arc S to some desktop speakers. Specifically, the CREATIVE T40 Series 2 speakers, via the rear AUX IN.

The problem:

The problem reproduces itself when (my) Arc S is connected to the cellular network, and its 3.5mm jack to the above speakers.

Now, when I start playing music (via the stock music player), the clicking stops. There is no clicking despite the volume being minimum (ie, mute), provided the music player is still playing. When the music is stopped / paused, there is a single, louder click, then the quiet clicking sounds continue at an interval of around one a second.

When I go into AIRPLANE mode however, there is absolutely no clicking whatsoever, irrespective of the music player playing a track or not.

I don't know. Sounds like a potential bug in an audio driver, but considering the clicking continues / occurs while connected to cellular network (mobile radio turned on) tells me something is not insulated / shielded too well in the device.

When the clicking is occuring (music stopped) and with the audio jack connected, if I place my hand near the jack you can hear a quiet electrical hum that you'd hear when you actually touch the metal contacts of the 3.5mm line of the speakers. This does NOT occur when the music is playing, when the music player volume is at silent. Likewise, if I turn on the radio app, the clicking stops. Even if the volume is set to mute.

So in short, the clicking occurs when the phone is in standby, connected to a 2G (or 3G) network. And it stops whenever the Arc S's audio jack is told to output audio.

Now, granted I have to turn the volume dial on the CREATIVE speakers to around 60% to hear the clicks. But considering I purchased the Arc S as a media device, hence meaning it's connected to speakers often, this is quite a downer...

I have tried listening for the clicks on earphones AND large high-powered headphones (ie, not speakers). But I was unable to hear any clicks that way. Music playing or not.

And my CREATIVE speakers are fine; I have tried other cellphones / music players and none produce any clicking sounds at all...

...anyone able to shed some light onto the issue? And whether you are able to reproduce this issue on desktop speakers? I'd also been interested in your Android version...

In short, I want to confirm my Arc S, less than a week old, is NOT a lemon...

Cheers in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Clicking audio output on Arc S

yes, I have those clicking sound too, I use an Altec Lansing speakers,, and my most probable guess for it is that it caused by the network signal,, more of static thingy,, Dizzy Face

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
3 REPLIES 3
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

yes, I have those clicking sound too, I use an Altec Lansing speakers,, and my most probable guess for it is that it caused by the network signal,, more of static thingy,, Dizzy Face

________________________________________________________________________________
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Yeah. There is the chance of radio interference with the audio signals. In short, considering I'm not alone with this issue, it seems to be bad electrical shielding by Sony (Ericsson). Either way, as long as the sounds don't occur WHILE the music is playing, I can live with it.

Thanks noramlb~

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

I'll keep trying to find ways or workaround this one. I'll keep posted if I found something.

Winking Face