account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

z5 compact touchscreen acting weird

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 191 of 365
Message 191 of 365

Re: z5 compact touchscreen acting weird

Maybe it's some electrical magnet field ish issue. Would explain why temperature seems to be involved (higher temp = heavier CPU load = larger chance for this electrical field issue to happen).

Could be related to either the white color or simply (most likely) something that happened while assembling white models. They probably did one color and then moved on to the next.

Another thing I though about is that the part where the screen starts acting up, the bottom half, coincidentally lines up with where the plastic SIM and SD-card lip is on the side. It's also possible that the fingerprint sensor have gotten a faulty assembly. It uses capacitive sensors which might affect the digitizer. (Just tried to turn off fingerprint unlock and still cant register more than 2 inputs at once in YAMTT so might not be it).

Anyways, this is not the first time Sony messed up touch. If you google it you can track it all the way back to Z1.

Regular
Message 192 of 365
Message 192 of 365

Well, no update yet. And no feedback from Sony Mobile NO on Facebook.

Apprentice
Message 193 of 365
Message 193 of 365

Did more testing in YAMTT. When issue is produced, bottom half of screen, from where fing sensor ends, stops working correctly. If you avoid lock/unlock, you can "stabilize" digitizer just by touching the sides of the phone. A small part is not enough, but by gripping the half upper frame edges (did not try bottom half) you could have it temporarily stop. Backplate was untouched. Was easily shown in Yamtt how it stopped "blipping" while doing this, could let go, grip, let go and have it shown on screen the effect of doing so. Pressure on edges did not seem to matter.

This is CLEARLY hardware and not software related. Definitely some kind of electrical leakage and/or faulty assembly. Have your phones switched asap.

My theory is, when gripping the edges the electricity causing interference is transfered away. This is why lock/unlock works, it causes the routine from OK-> interference to restart.

I should have a medal for this. Give us new phones SONY, it is a great model in all other aspects.

Learner
Message 194 of 365
Message 194 of 365

Great job BirdsEye!

Indeed you should have a medal or a free phone or something, as this research should be done by Sony and not by it's customers. The customers should get value for money, rather then getting a phone with issues!

Sony please come with a press release asap to inform us from your end.

Phones are being sent back and people are turning their back to Sony phones. 

Time for the management to come up with appropriate crises  management and damage control.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 195 of 365
Message 195 of 365

Have to give this a try next time my phone touch screen stops reacting. Great find if its true

Apprentice
Message 196 of 365
Message 196 of 365

I sent my phone for repair. Hopefully they find it's broken and send me a black one as I requested, if it turns out they can't fix it. Which I am pretty sure they can't.

I tried some more things with my phone today before I sent it away.

It does not matter what part of the edges you touch (bottom half or upper half or even some fingers gripping top and some the bottom), it still had the "calming" effect on the digitizer. Nothing could make me reset the interference but lock/unlock though, and nothing but a reboot brings back touch support for more than 2 fingers simultaneously. Though, after a reboot, touching with 4-6 fingers will soon produce the bug/glitch/whatever. As you all probably knew.

Have a nice weekend. 

Adviser
Message 197 of 365
Message 197 of 365

I have sent mine for repair to. 

Enthusiast
Message 198 of 365
Message 198 of 365

Thhiiss isswwttitteenn iwwitrh ja norrmaally,,wiithh one hhand And this with two hand, one holding upper part of the phone
One time poster
Message 199 of 365
Message 199 of 365

I got my white Z5C 32.0.A.4.11 less than 24hours ago and I have all the issues you described... Back/home/window buttons get unresponsive and scrolling is accidentally clicking. Have not noticed anything funny when writing, but as the phone is so new have not had chance to write so much. Started before installing any app at all. Bought this from Finland. I so wish I had viewed the support forum before getting this phone!

My phone also gets uncomfortably warm, even hot. Also when I charged the battery it got really hot and then it was nearly impossible to use due to the touch screen issues.

I have to say that I am very much disappointed in Sony for the "radio silence" in this thread. I am a first time Sony owner after many Nokia symbian phones.

Regular
Message 200 of 365
Message 200 of 365

Hi guys.

Google translate from norwegian:

We have noted some cases of challenges youre talking about and we will therefore during some days come with a SW update to Z5 Compact ( first PC Companion and Bridge for Mac , then " over the air" ) . Download it once it has pushed out , so I think you should be very pleased. Have a great weekend , mvh Eirik - Sony Mobile