account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

z5 compact touchscreen acting weird

SOLVED
EHo
Enthusiast
Message 181 of 365
Message 181 of 365

Re: z5 compact touchscreen acting weird

If it's because of the white paint on the white model, then it would be very hard to forward this problem until a final product is made and intensely tested.
EHo
Enthusiast
Message 182 of 365
Message 182 of 365

Foresee , not forward...
One time poster
Message 183 of 365
Message 183 of 365

@bardakson

32.0.A.4.11 White

I have the same problem. Occurs after using the phone continuously for a couple of minutes.

1. Drag and release is detected as drag and select

2. Does not detect 'tap' on the three standard buttons (bottom three)

3. Adds letters and sometimes dots when I write messages.

Problem is temporarily "solved" by locking the phone and opening it again.

Edit: Has nothing to do with overheating.

fax
Regular
Message 184 of 365
Message 184 of 365

@batto wrote:
Edit: Has nothing to do with overheating.

I agree that it doesn't relate to overheating in the ordinary sense but I can sometimes (not always) provoke it by running a benchmark (where the phone gets a bit warmer but not hot). IMHO, temperature change seems to be a factor but it doesn't take much and it doesn't always happen.

One time poster
Message 185 of 365
Message 185 of 365

My experience with this issue is...

It always happens, it can either be after 1min or 10min, but it always start to mess up at some point.

It has nothing to do with overheating. Turning the screen off and on again always fixes the issue temporary.

The symptom is mainly that clicks dont register, zoom doesnt work, swipe leads to click instead of swipe, and sometimes one click will lead to many clicks.

I turned on debug mode, and enabled to see the clicks on the screen, and also the current varablie values of the clicks and pressure. When things starts to mess up, and my clicks doesnt register in the app im using, the debug app still recognizes the clicks 100% correct. And by looking on the debug app all gestures, swipes and clicks looks ok!

That makes me in some way belive its Software related, but on the other hand i have also experience like others have told, that it behaves different based on how your are holding the device, for example: i was in a stage where it didnt regsiter any swipes whatsoever, but if i hold the other hand firmly on either side of the device, it worked a bit to swipe. So i dont know... it can be either...

I also contacted Sony Support, and they told me they are investigating if its hardware or software related.

So i guess im waiting for an update from them...

Apprentice
Message 186 of 365
Message 186 of 365

It just can't be software-related.

Why?

1. It wouldn't make any sense that different colors would run different software.

2.  Zero reports here from other colors than white. 

3.  You can definetely make some strange effects by holding the device in certain way and at the same time touching the backpanel from certain points... try this:

when the device goes to this f*ckedup-mode.. try for example long pressing the home -button.. you can see the device registering hundreds of "clicks" in a minute while it SHOULD just keep the button pressed down as long as you keep your finger on it...

THEN at the same time try to touch the backplate with your other hand from different points and you can see that it has an effect... suddenly the home button stays pressed down... then release your finger from the backplate and it starts acting up again..

4.  A few times I've even managed to click the icons/buttons in the bottom of the screen by just moving my finger close to the screen (about 1 cm away) but not actually touching it! 

One time poster
Message 187 of 365
Message 187 of 365

I bought one white z5compact  the last week throught sony website shop, and the phone had these problems.

I sent the phone asking another one, but Im worried, maybe the problem will be there again, and in the technical service the answer is that this model hasnt any problem

So, what do you recommend me? try with another white phone? change the colour? or ask for a money refund?

Thanks a lot

Learner
Message 188 of 365
Message 188 of 365

Guys, I just returned my White Sony Xperia Z5 Compact to the webshop with as complain the touchscreen issue as described by all of you. I have pre-ordered this phone and waited for about 5 weeks before I got. Once in, I spent hours of work on it to add music, contacts, agenda, apn, apps and to further configure the phone and install the software on my laptop. All wasted by a reset at the point of returning the phone. Further I bought a memory card and other accesories for this phone, also wasted money. Pretty disappointing performance of Sony.  Buying another color....I am not so sure....     

EHo
Enthusiast
Message 189 of 365
Message 189 of 365

Yellow z3c looks pretty nice
Highlighted
EHo
Enthusiast
Message 190 of 365
Message 190 of 365