account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5C blurry camera images / more blur on the left side

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 811 of 838
Message 811 of 838

Re: Z5 Premium Camera Blur

I previously owned a Z5 Compact. I passed it on to my wife and got myself a Z5 instead. 

The Compact did not suffer from the blur on the left side, I quess I got lucky with that one. The case is different with the new Z5: there is a very visible blur on the left. It starts from about the 1/3 of the frame and continues to the edge.

Is there any official statement? Any action to take? I would not prefer to send my new phone to repair, since the number of people who have got help that way seems to be zero.

Inhabitant
Message 812 of 838
Message 812 of 838

The question is: how much are you affected by the blur?

I guess this is what Sony will probably measure if you send your phone. If this is bad enough, they will probably do something to solve the issue. I guess they won't deal with blurring that is "expected".

Adviser
Message 813 of 838
Message 813 of 838

I did some more research, and here's what I found. Not sure if this is old info but...

If I set the focus in the center of the frame and take a photo the left third of the frame is blurred.

But if I set the focus on the LEFT SIDE of the frame, it is in focus! But now the rest of the photo is blurred. 

To me it seems that either the lens or the sensor is installed askew, which results in this behaviour. No way to fix this in post! I try to attach the sample photo here..

It is in full size, you need to click on it with the right button on your mouse and select "open in new tab" or such. Here the focus is set to the left side of the keyboard and the right side is out of focus.

2016-05-17 09.16.41.jpg

And here is a test photo, an A3 sheet with 1 x 1 mm pattern on it. Focus is in the center.

2016-05-17 09.15.14.jpg

And here is the test photo with focus on the LEFT SIDE of the sheet. Looks actually really bad, the whole picture is out of focus. The left side is almost in focus, but this causes the rest of the shot to be total blur. This means that I can't compose any object to the left side of my photo and focus there, it would mess up the whole shot. This affects "real life" photography too, not just these proof of concept -type of pics.

2016-05-17 09.45.54.jpg

Inhabitant
Message 814 of 838
Message 814 of 838

These pictures are not good enough to measure how off-centered your lens is. I think what you want to do is to locate where the center exactly is.

Look at this (from a small distance):

Hedge

Text on screen

Adviser
Message 815 of 838
Message 815 of 838

I am not sure what you mean by "good enough". I think that when viewed in full size those pictures tell quite exactly where the problematic areas are and where the issue presents itself?

Commissioner
Message 816 of 838
Message 816 of 838

Text photo is strange to me, the blur occurs but further to the edge its sharp again. You should post some of city panoramas and far scapes to see if road signs are sharp and readable, cars plates, buildings etc..  From that close I dont think Xperia Z2 would do any better in edges, my documents are usually blured in corners and as far as I know my 4Q 2014 Z2 was free from camera blur. 

Take a picture where other phones perform, sunny, bright, detailed. Not photos where others aren't any or much better.Test if blur affects videos and 4K to be sure it's not software issue but 100% lens. If lens sony can fix it, if software... We all know, wait for update.

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
Inhabitant
Message 817 of 838
Message 817 of 838

It seems lens technology is very complex stuff (see this image for the Z5: http://images.christianpost.com/full/86538/sony-xperia-z5.jpg)

Software probably takes a raw image that is highly deformed by lens geometry, and then un-deforms it. The Z5 has a hard time doing it right, maybe because of the very wide angle. I'm just guessing of course.

The text photo, by showing off circles if you look carefully, allows to determine where the "center of things" is. Either the center of the physical lens with respect to the sensor location, or the center used by software processing. Who knows except Sony...

I took the text image to see if I can "see" something not right with respect to centering. But I probably failed, as blur is right-sided on my device, and the concentric circles you see are also right sided (I would have expected the opposite side).

Enthusiast
Message 818 of 838
Message 818 of 838

Re: Z5C blurry camera images / more blur on the left side

@frankm87
Lens technology may be complex but you would think sufficient testing would have been done during quality assurance procedures before releasing defective Z5's to the public.
It's a very interesting subject as we have yet to hear back from Sony even after all this time, they are clearly avoiding the situation because they know they screwed up with the lens/software, so they have gone with a different lens in the next line of of Xperia phones.
Does anyone think Sony can improve the poor blurry camera of the Z5 through a software patch or is it not fixable?
Commissioner
Message 819 of 838
Message 819 of 838

Yep, they screwed up, but unfortunately I heard bout Xperia X having the same blur issue, can't confirm yet as only fiew of photo examples are on the net, mainly super retuched by sony graphics. What's worse one of the sony PR said Xperia X is all about software not hardware, which practically means X will have the same lens as Z5, just overcharged by sony Alpha software. Which in other hand bring us to question if lenses are ok, why they can't improve Z2, Z3's and Z5's sharpness and noise with a major software update.
Yes I don't have any blur on Z2, yes I'm preety satisfied with overall performance, but on premiere with KitKat i have strange feeling it worked better, faster and sharpen. Anyone remembers the tv spots? Make pure clear shoots even in move, capture moments within a moment etc..? Well, taking photos from car has no sens anymore cause even video recording gets blurry and has a problem to focus on road where I tapped. Moving objects look like trying capturing a Flash or spiderman.. looong splash of mixed colours. Why they didn't overcharge the old software aswell?
Hope Android 6.0 will bring some more "action" to older Xperias, now noone believes me I have 20,7 MPix with 2.3, the photos look like 5 MPix 10 years old phone. In cloudy and rainy scenarious to be clear... in full sunlight I can get a high-end compact effect with all the sharpness and vivid colours.... Just in sunny Winking Face

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
Commissioner
Message 820 of 838
Message 820 of 838

It does exist!!!!

After replacing the Z5 four times, finally my fifth unit has no blur!!

Photos to prove it exists below Slightly smiling Face

goo.gl/WGbQjS