account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z5C blurry camera images / more blur on the left side

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 761 of 836
Message 761 of 836

Re: Z5C blurry camera images / more blur on the left side

@Spinworkxroy you're right Sony clearly don't care anymore, just look at the response they've given us since this post opened from November....absolutely no official reply besides a moderator saying we'll look into it.

It's clear they are either blind to notice the problem or too lazy to rectify it, also their customer service is useless having said they have never received complaints regarding the camera performance, when in reality the camera performance is the largest complaint in the Z5. How ironic.... Anyway I hope the moderators are reading our comments and finally get through to the team that can improve the awful camera software, because at this moment I have to use my second phone to capture photos. The silence from Sony is becoming absolutely pathetic and ridiculous at this point I wonder if they just shut us out and moved on to the Z6 production and marketing which will probably have deceptive camera performance claims again.
Enthusiast
Message 762 of 836
Message 762 of 836

@Razorig2 Well, they no longer will continue with the Z series. The z5 was the last.

they now are moving on with the X series and the X performance just came out not long after the z5p...no idea what they were thinking making this move..make z5 owners feel like we're just a testbed...because they mentioned for teh X, they used an upgraded and updated camera sensor from the z5....but, isnt the z5 sensor new??? less than 6mth they made a new one for the X? Is it because they KNOW the z5 sensor has hardware issues and can't fix it in software, that's why they are NOT acknowledging any issues even with SOOOO many people complaining about it, they still say NO we didn't receive any complaints....probably so they can sweep it under a rug and make the X and fix it in hardware...

Still i no longer have confidence in anything Sony says...i do believe the z5 was a failure and we're the idiots who bought into it..

Apprentice
Message 763 of 836
Message 763 of 836

As with everyone else on this topic. After sending my X5C back to support, all they seemed to have done was reset the phone and send it back to me without any additional paperwork explaining what they actually did to my device to attempt to rectify the issue, with a phone number to call for additional support.

Phoning it was essentially telling me words to the effect of "Sony have no idea what you're talking about with this problem, have you turned it off-and-on again? Perhaps a reset?"

The problem still persists, but had the additional upgrade to MM which I hoped would fix the problem... It didn't and after a few days of living with a phone that couldn't hold a charge for more than 1/2 day and running hot. Time for me to throw in the towel and managed to get a refund.

Now I choose to either play Russian Roulette and keep buying/returning X5Cs until I find one that isn't broken, or wait for 6-9 months for another compact phone with a decent camera to be released.

Has anyone done their research for similar alternative phones that could replace this?
ZTE Blade S7 seems the nearest choice

Inhabitant
Message 764 of 836
Message 764 of 836

@CerberusSco

So finally you did keep your Z5, in the end!

Did you manage to get a non-faulty unit? Last time you complained here, two month ago, you were pretty unhappy!

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5C-blurry-camera-images-more-blur-on...

Talent
Message 765 of 836
Message 765 of 836

frankm87 wrote:

@CerberusSco

So finally you did keep your Z5, in the end!

Did you manage to get a non-faulty unit? Last time you complained here, two month ago, you were pretty unhappy!

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5C-blurry-camera-images-more-blur-on...

@frankm87 what makes you say that I kept my Z5 in the end?

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us!
Inhabitant
Message 766 of 836
Message 766 of 836

I stumbled upon a message from you that is about 20-30 days old that mentions the Z5 and the Marshmallow update procedure. Can't remember where.

Talent
Message 767 of 836
Message 767 of 836

frankm87 wrote:

I stumbled upon a message from you that is about 20-30 days old that mentions the Z5 and the Marshmallow update procedure. Can't remember where.

That would of been XPERIAblog I think.

I don't have it, I gave it to my son. I settled with Sony Mobile and I waited until the S7 Edge was released and bought that outright. Best move I ever made.

Don't get me wrong the Z5 is a nice handset, but it's seriously let down by it's poor camera performance and the camera was THE main reason why I opted for the Z5 due to myself being really impressed with the camera on the Z1, but I would of hoped that the Z5 would of performed better. Evrything else was great, but I rely on the camera on my mobile to capture that perfect moment or that moment when something happens and that was my only gripe with it. The gripe though was a big issue for me and other people (it seems) so I had no choice but to opt for another handset from a different manufacturer.

I will keep a close eye on future Sony handsets and I may buy another in the future, but I am more than happy with the camera performance on my S7 Edge. The low light shots are some of the best I've seen on a mobile camera.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us!
Inhabitant
Message 768 of 836
Message 768 of 836

CerberusSco wrote:

frankm87 wrote:

That would of been XPERIAblog I think.

I don't have it, I gave it to my son. I settled with Sony Mobile and I waited until the S7 Edge was released and bought that outright. Best move I ever made.

Don't get me wrong the Z5 is a nice handset, but it's seriously let down by it's poor camera performance and the camera was THE main reason why I opted for the Z5 due to myself being really impressed with the camera on the Z1, but I would of hoped that the Z5 would of performed better. Evrything else was great, but I rely on the camera on my mobile to capture that perfect moment or that moment when something happens and that was my only gripe with it. The gripe though was a big issue for me and other people (it seems) so I had no choice but to opt for another handset from a different manufacturer.

I will keep a close eye on future Sony handsets and I may buy another in the future, but I am more than happy with the camera performance on my S7 Edge. The low light shots are some of the best I've seen on a mobile camera.

I do see the blur on one side (as expected) but I got the phone for a set of reasons, not just the camera. Unfortunately, no other phone matches my exact requirements. I considered the Z3C (almost bought that one), LG G5 (the Z5 wide angle is great, fish eye of the G5 is not ; the phone is too big for me anyway) or even iPhone SE (no Android OS, that I want to have). The Z5C has a wide angle lens, which seems to be a very creative tool. I did consider the S7, but this device produces pictures that are vastly different from Sony devices : there is *extreme* sharpness. Feels almost unnatural sometimes. But this is a great device.

The scenario with the largest amount of blur with Z5C is when you have a constrast transition in the corners. The best situation is with trees, with a blue sky, especially during winter, eg. when there are no leaves.

The best is to take a picture inside a forest, looking up towards the sky. You need to make sure you have meidum-size branches in the two upper corners. One of the corner will exhibit "halo oozing", eg. the blue/white color of the sky will ooze over the black color of the branches. This happens in BOTH corners actually, but the Z5 lens is never perfectly centered and the oozing will be more pronounced on one corner. This is what is a bit disturbing.

I wonder how difficult it is for Sony to *perfectly* center the lens during manufacturing. I doubt it is possible to center it well after the facts (repair). May be it is a problem with lens manufacturing as well. How hard is it to provide wide angle for such a tiny lens?

Also, I had noticed in this thread some devices do not exhibit ANY halo at all. These pictures are probably fake because as I said earlier, the halo is inevitable, to some extent, in BOTH corners. It is not possible to not have any halo in either corner, even if the lens is 100% well-centered, I would say (I can measure the halo, and if my lens was perfectly centered, I would see a bit of halo on both corners). One explanation might be that the shooting scenario is just too favorable : it does not create the conditions that are necessary to test the optical performance. Every time the Z5 software decides to sharpen the image in a specific location, it is difficult to make an opinion.

All in all, I would say for the Z5 : love it, or hate it. I understand it is fair to hate it.

Regards

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 769 of 836
Message 769 of 836

On my replacement Z5p I must say, the camera is exceptional, just like my original one.
Only the first replacement had issues with lens, but after a less than nice struggle with o2 I got it swapped for another (did send it to o2 for repair but they proper made it worse, left a hair under lens cover and managed to dent chassis from some vice?)
The replacement has been the best camera I've ever had on a phone, by a long way.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 770 of 836
Message 770 of 836

DSC_3220.jpg

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.