account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Z5C blurry camera images / more blur on the left side

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 331 of 838
Message 331 of 838

Re: Z5C blurry camera images / more blur on the left side

******************************************************************************************************************

RayJai RayJai Visitor
Nov 21
Z5C White @ 8MP

10 sample shots, day and night, no blur I guess

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3Q25KTUIwUmdIWFU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3TGwteHZnS3luTkE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3ZmNRRG1fZkhkZk0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3WG1Uc0JkSC1LUW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3Y0pBVnd2YXFTaDg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3VUJGQ0s0RnhxaFE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3QVpRVmxia3hxYVU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3ZHNLdFF6cGFMM28/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3cGE1cVh3XzhUbnc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UJilLBz2C3VXdEOWFqT1FYMzQ/view?usp=sharing

******************************************************************************************************************
Hi Ray, I looked through your samples pics. with tks so much.

However I found these pics. were taken by automodel, that means, there are all 800MP pics and in 16:9 condition.

With such condition, camera in fact just use a part of lens/sensor of the center but not all the lens and sensor, (that means the side/edge/corner of the pic. you took had been cutted by camera automatic) ....I calculated that in this case the lens wide is about 27-28MM (equal 35mm full frame)

So, may I ask you for testing with manual model, use 2300mp pics and in 4:3 condition. Just with this condition, we could see what happened under 25mm lens wide condition(equal 35mm full frame).
Adviser
Message 332 of 838
Message 332 of 838

I think under 800MP conditions, the pics looked pretty well, however, if one people bought an xperia mobile, who just would take pic. under 800mp condition? with 27-28mm wide lens? they will better than IPHONE? or other China made mobile?
What we want is 25mm wide lens under 2300mp. Is that the reason you choose Sony?
Message 333 of 838
Message 333 of 838

At 8mp the phone still uses the full sensor, it uses pixel binning to make the image smaller, most phones use a smaller part of the sensor but not Xperia.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 334 of 838
Message 334 of 838

Also, 23mp shots dont use the full width of the sensor, only 16:9 shots do.
The sensor is actually 25mp but no mode will take full use of the sensor, 4:3 will use full height, 16:9 will use full width

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 335 of 838
Message 335 of 838

@viridis wrote:
At 8mp the phone still uses the full sensor, it uses pixel binning to make the image smaller, most phones use a smaller part of the sensor but not Xperia.

yeah, but for the lens, it shows 5mm focal length, that means just 27-28MM lens wide used.(if the sensor bigger than z3, it should be 28mm or more)

In the case, at least, at the edge/corner of the lens did not be used when took pic.

the blur problem more like caused by the image quality worse at the edge and corner, it is normal even on dslr's lens.

Abnormal thing is it looks uneven existed on the left side, and too much worse than center quality.

I guess it is a design bug on the lens or quality control problem when mess producing.

Adviser
Message 336 of 838
Message 336 of 838

The problem should caused by the bad situation on the edge/corner of the lens.

So we have to check what happens when it used under 25mm (equal to 35mm full frame camera) but not just 28mm's situation.

For such a small size/volume module, when it used for big wide lens, they must have unavoidable  distortions, vignetting, and image quality worse at the edge/corner. So sony must use inside image engine for ajusting back as much as they can, so you could feel that it is very slow for saving a pic..On the other hand, this kind of adjustment also might be cause new problem/bug.

This is the reason why since Z3, we have a lot of problem on the camera.

With Z1 and Z2, they used 28mm wide lens, they will be no problem, but from Z3, they began to use 25mm LENS, all problem appears. It's optical problem, even just 1mm lens wide, you have to pay much more. And might be fault. Sony have no choice, they must use this for attracting people, they are taking adventure, and seems don't care the potential problem.

Talent
Message 337 of 838
Message 337 of 838

@JayDee1282 wrote:

Took some new pictures outside to see if there's a blur but couldn't figure it out.

https://dropbox.com/sh/zzb6yx9j8h1isoa/AAARrIJFLkqDR0R81riNabnea?dl=0

Looking at parts of the pylon, I can see a slight blurring

@mtang924 wrote:

So we have to check what happens when it used under 25mm (equal to 35mm full frame camera) but not just 28mm's situation.

For such a small size/volume module, when it used for big wide lens, they must have unavoidable  distortions, vignetting, and image quality worse at the edge/corner. So sony must use inside image engine for ajusting back as much as they can, so you could feel that it is very slow for saving a pic..On the other hand, this kind of adjustment also might be cause new problem/bug.

With Z1 and Z2, they used 28mm wide lens, they will be no problem, but from Z3, they began to use 25mm LENS, all problem appears. It's optical problem, even just 1mm lens wide, you have to pay much more. And might be fault. Sony have no choice, they must use this for attracting people, they are taking adventure, and seems don't care the potential problem.

I think this issue is without a doubt a de-centred lens on some devices. The amount of people, not just on these forums, that have said the same thing (de-centred lens) would suggest this is the case.

This is definitely a hardware issue and not a software issue, but either way, Sony needs to fix this or hope that only a small amount of units are affected. I, however, think that quite a large number of units are affected and more than Sony would normally like or expect.

Now I can't recall this, but wasn't there an issue with the Z3 and a yellow screen when that was first released?

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us!
Regular
Message 338 of 838
Message 338 of 838

@mtang924 wrote:

I understand where are you going with this when it comes to vignetting and other visual artifacts caused by using a wide angle lens and most likely cheap glass, but the difference here is that if this was caused due to the wide angle lens, we would see the issue on the right side as well, but as we have come to conclusion the left side is way more pronounced and the amount of blur varies from phone to phone, meaning it cannot be the optical formula they used for the lens that is causing this issue. I toyed around with the idea of maybe it's a fotware bug, but then the abberations would be the same on each unit and not different case to case. It's as repeated multiple times, a quality control issue where the lens is either decentered or in production it wasn't polished equally. 

Regular
Message 339 of 838
Message 339 of 838

A bit more explanation:

The lens has a focal lenght of 4.23mm and the sensor is a 1/2.3-inch, meaning we're dealing with a 5.7 crop factor when compared to 35mm, aspect ratio doesn't change the focal lenght. So the lens when multiplied by the crop factor would be a 24.1mm lens. Be it 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio, the focal lenght will stay the same and is not going to change, meaning the "zoom" is going to be the same, but you are taking a differently framed picture, and using another part of the sensor because it's actually a 25mpix sensor. In a traditional 4:3 sensor when using the 16:9 aspect ratio you would be using a 16:9 area on the 4:3 sensor. Due to the Z5 sensor being oversized you simply don't lose the quality when switching aspect ratios, but it does not have any impact on the focal lenght. It never becomes a 28mm lens like mtang924 claims.

EDIT: Now this just dawned on me, RayJay posted pictures with no abberations and as we found out the EXIF claims his Z5C had a 4.9mm lens while everyones elses Z5C's and Z5's had a 4.23mm lenses when checked on the EXIF. Meaning RayJay did indeed have a 27.9mm lens in 35mm equivalent focal length.

EDIT 2: Can anyone try this: Take picture in a completely dark area with no light. I have noticed that there is blue light in the same area where the blurring happens more or less. Wonder if it's related. Thought maybe it's the Sony's post proccesing, but it also happens on third part camera apps such as google camera. 

xperia-sensor.jpg

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 340 of 838
Message 340 of 838

@CerberusSco wrote:

@JayDee1282 wrote:

Took some new pictures outside to see if there's a blur but couldn't figure it out.

https://dropbox.com/sh/zzb6yx9j8h1isoa/AAARrIJFLkqDR0R81riNabnea?dl=0

Looking at parts of the pylon, I can see a slight blurring

Thank you, CerberusSco.

Only on the picture with the pylon or are the other pictures affected by this blurring, too?