account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5 premium dead after today's OS update

SOLVED
Regular
Message 1 of 30
Message 1 of 30

Z5 premium dead after today's OS update

I have a fully updated Z5 Premium which died after updating to the latest OS version (pushed to my phone today). It does not matter how long I have it charging, the phone refuses to start. I had around 90% battery when downloading the update, and could boot and log in after the update as normal. Update time was maybe 10 min or so - nothing strange at least.

Next time I looked, the phone was completely dead as if the power had been fully drained but there is no difference even after charging for hours (via power outlet, not through USB).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular
Message 21 of 30
Message 21 of 30

Re: Z5 premium dead after today's OS update

I just got my phone back and they had to change the mainboard. No official reply yet to confirm this was related to the hardware, but I also don't expect one. Until an actual confirmed way of resolving this without changing the mainboard, I think it remains fair to say that some of us with particular hardware in our phones got shafted in the update. Still, as this obviously is a warranty issue, I have nothing but good things to say overall so no need to overexaggerate either. Make sure to backup your things, I suppose!

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Emperor
Message 2 of 30
Message 2 of 30

I doubt it was the update but you can contact your Local support to get it inspected. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 30
Message 3 of 30

Hi @CarlMagnus,

Welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear this has happened Slightly frowning Face

Before arranging a repair, there's some things you can try. First, hold the Power button and the Volume UP button for about 10 seconds and see if your phone vibrates. If it does, continue to hold them until it vibrates 3 times. If it does, you should now be able to turn your phone on.

If that does not work, let me know and I will give you some more things to try.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 4 of 30
Message 4 of 30

Hi.

I tried the force restart earlier and no vibration and no difference. It does not even vibrate when I plug the phone in to charge and no blinking lights at all.

One time poster
Message 5 of 30
Message 5 of 30

I'm experiencing the exact same problem! If anyone find a solution please let us know!

Regular
Message 6 of 30
Message 6 of 30

The support center couldn't get a single life sign out of the phone either, so it is now sent off to check the hardware. I'll update once my phone is back. 

To speculate, I strongly suspect there is something wrong on the software side depending on exactly what components are in the phone, meaning the update looks like the culptit even if it has other implications afterwards. The phone behaved as if all power had been sucked out of it and afterwards as if it refused to accept charging (possibly due to the battery being sucked out faster than it gets charged). There are substantial changes to the power management in the update, after all. It's not an unheard of situation after driver and power related software updates. I know Android-based software updates (note: not for the Z5) have been postponed earlier for the exact reason I speculate.

One time poster
Message 7 of 30
Message 7 of 30

I have same issue, Thanks any help.

Rookie
Message 8 of 30
Message 8 of 30

Do you get a solid red light when the phone is plugged in? maybe turn on for 5-10 seconds? 

Regular
Message 9 of 30
Message 9 of 30

Nope. There is an occasional blink if you try to start the phone sometimes, but that's it. It is never a solid light though.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 30
Message 10 of 30

I have the same problem with my Z5 Compact.

Installed the upgrade when at work. Left for home with 100% battey level.

In the evening I notice my phone is warm and only 12% left.

Now it refuses to charge.

The led turns red until the white screen with the sone xperia text appears.

Then it goes black again with no red light. After a while the diod goes red again and everything repeats.

Tried several cables and chargers.