account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 does not start after software update

Rookie
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Z5 does not start after software update

I bought the phone yesterday and it was working fine. Today it proposed to me update of Sony Mobile Services. I started the update, phone started the usual routine of turning off and on again. After trying to start it

- I can see Sony logo

- then Android tries to start up, but display immediately shows Android robot lying on the back and below it is nothing telling sign Error

I tried software repair via companion

- phone does not get recognized

- also, if I connect it to computer via USB, sequence described above repeats itself endlessly

120 second hold on button next to SIM socket does not do anything

What else can I do? Is there some hard reset button for the device?

8 REPLIES 8
Visitor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Z5 does not start after software update

I'm getting pretty much the same. I transferred all my settings from one Z5 into another backup Z5 over the last few days, no problems. Phone was working fine today but a short time ago it updated some system software and then bricked itself upon restart. I also have tried the 120 second restart, and keep getting an OS that wont go beyond a certain point. Keeps popping up messages in the way about 'com.android.phone has stopped' (close app), alternating with 'System UI has stopped' (close app) any time I touch the screen.

Visitor
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

PS - When using the Xperia Companion software, and I attempt a software update or a software repair, the program says my phone needs to be unlocked and then to set the phone to file transfers mode, but I cannot do anything to unlock it (it wasn't locked by me) and cannot access the dialog box to allow files to be transferred.

Emperor
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

@silverspoon 

If the phone isn't yours, you will need the owner to unlock the phone for you (pin/password lock) 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

@jenikok 

I'm sorry to hear that, did you dropped the phone or exposed it to water/steam? were you trying to unlock the bootloader or install a different ROM or custom ROM?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

no at all points. If I dropped it, put it under water or expose it to steam, I wouldn't bother writing my original message. 

To be honest I do not know what I did try to update, phone itself suggested update of Sony Mobile Services as I wrote. So at least I can rule out custom stuff, this was standard update.

Today even the cable socket does not work, if I connect the cable, phone does nothing. Seems like faulty unit to me

Visitor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

It's my own backup phone, because I need to be connected 24/7 for my work.

Visitor
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

@uliwooly

For my part, I wasn't doing anything fancy either. My phone was working fine for hours after equalising the contents and settings with my other (almost identical) phone. I updated the apps from the Google Play site and it also automatically updated the 'Whats New' app and wanted to foist 'Outlook' onto me (which I refused). I started making a few ordinary tweaks using the normal phone setting dialogs etc, and then I tried to restart the phone and now it will not get past the boot-up process. I have tried the Xperia Companion software and it cannot get anywhere so long as it thinks it is locked, can't even wipe it to start from scratch.

Emperor
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@silverspoon 

I'm sorry to hear that, in that case you will have to contact your Local support