account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 compact not asking for Network Unlock Code.

Regular
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Z5 compact not asking for Network Unlock Code.

I've got the network unlock code from Vodafone,  I put in the SIM card from EE, a message at the top of the screen shows I've no service because it's a different SIM but the phone does not ask me to enter the code.  I've searched on lots of different forums and watched a few videos and on all of them the phone prompts the user to enter the code - my Z5 Compact does nothing and I can't see anywhere in the settings options for how to enter it manually. I assume there must be a way to enter the code so can someone advise me how to do it? 

12 REPLIES 12
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Z5 compact not asking for Network Unlock Code.

Hi @Aliasname, welcome to our forum!

If the device is locked to a specific operator, you have unlocking attempts left and you put in an activated SIM card from a different operator, you will be prompted to enter the NUC to remove the operator lock on the device.

To start with, if you start up the device as normal with or without SIM cards mounted > open up the application called "Phone" > type in *#*#7378423#*#* > Service info > SIM lock. Can you take a screenshot of this menu and get back to me with it? To take a screenshot, press and hold down the power button > tap on "Take screenshot".

Below you can see how it should look if it's locked to an operator but there are 10 attempts left to remove the lock.

[X] Network 10

Thanks!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Screenshot_20190523-071708.png

Hi Jonas. I've tried that before and it shows there are 5 attempts available. I've just checked it again now and it's still the same as above. 

Kind regards K

Regular
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

Hi, for some reason the screen shots don't seem to be loading properly - at least from my end - all I see is a yellow triangle with a grey border. 

Also, without me knowingly pressing anything, the site appears to have just randomly changed my query into an accepted solution!  This is not correct as the phone still doesn't prompt me to enter the network unlock code even though there are 5 attempts available.  Is there a way to manually force the phone to prompt me for the code? 

Regular
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Hi. As per my last post, it seems I accidentally marked your post as the solution. I had already done what you advised and there are 5 attempts available (that's always been the case - I haven't used up any attempts). I just need to know if there's another way to force the phone to ask me for the unlock code as following the usual instructions (i.e just inserting a new SIM) doesn't work - as it didn't for another poster on here on an old post but that post doesn't show what the solution was. 

Regular
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Also, I've tried twice to mark your answer as being "Not the solution" but that doesn't seem to work and my post is still showing your answer as the solution 😕

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Hi again @Aliasname and sorry for the late reply!

I have unmarked my post as the accepted solution now! Slightly smiling Face

There is no other way to force this as all should need to do is to insert an activated SIM card from a different operator and you should be prompted to put in the network unlocking code, but you can always check with your operator and see if there is any other way to do it, but from our side, that should be enough.

Is the SIM card you are inserting in the device, that is from your new operator activated? If it's not activated, it won't work as the SIM card won't be recognized.

Keep me posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

Hi Jonas

Apologies for the late reply. The SIM I had been using was definitely active as it's the one that came with my new phone and I had been using that phone on the EE network. My old phone (the Z5 compact) was on Vodafone and it just refused to prompt me for the network unlock code when I put the EE SIM in it - though a message scrolling across the top of the screen clearly showed I had no service (on Vodafone) due to the foreign SIM. However, I tried using an O2 SIM from my work phone and - that worked! I was prompted for the code and was able to unlock the phone. I didn't do anything differently to when I put in the EE SIM but, for some reason, this time it worked. Thank you for the help you've been trying to provide. 

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue, which is driving me crazy. My phone is locked to the network provider (three UK), and now I would like to use it with another one. I have the unlock pin, but as you said the phone doesn't ask me to entre it. I have tried different SIM but I always end up with nothing. I went to talk with (three) in person, they said "it's not our fault". Seriously, I don't know what to do!!!

Regular
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Hi Zaineb

Unfortunately I can't help you 😞 I tried a number of times using my new EE SIM and it just wouldn't work. You can see by the dates on this chain that it took a while before I was able to use the unlock code that Vodafone provided but I have no idea what suddenly made the O2 SIM prompt me for the code when the activated EE SIM wouldn't. Maybe it's something peculiar to those networks or, possibly, it's a deliberate ploy by Vodafone (i.e. automatically add a delay of a few days before the code will work) to deter you from unlocking the phone in the hope that you'll give up and the phone will remain tied to their network. I'll be honest and say that sounds a bit lame but I can't think of any other explanation that would show why the EE SIM wouldn't work but, about 2 weeks later, an O2 SIM would. Good luck with getting yours unlocked! 👍🤞