account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 compact draining battery while idling in the night significantly

SOLVED
Regular
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Z5 compact draining battery while idling in the night significantly

Good evening everyone

i am running my unlocked Z5 compact and after jumping to nougat the phone eats battery like monster when idling in the night for approx. 2-3%/h  , quit unconviniet 

-i flashed using Emma the factory .0.160 firmware clean install

-i have almost no apps installed. only few with no FB or any other bettery-eating apps

-location off 

-i tried airplane mode in nigh : draining is identical as if no airplane mode

-device administration: nothing enabled

-permissions: i take all unnecessary permissions from all non-system apps 

-no smart lock enabled

-what is draining battery in the battery info is phone idle (attached pic) (sometimes the draining is more than in the pic , today was better than before -)

-in the services menu the device say battery is good no need to replace

-using  AccuBattery : measured approx 2500mAh capacity

any idea ? 

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-23 at 2.35.29 PM.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular
Message 13 of 15
Message 13 of 15

Re: Z5 compact draining battery while idling in the night significantly {SOLVED WITH KERNEL UL}

the problem is solved : 

i know this since the beginning, the Android N is not sleeping, and not making everyone else sleep properly as well.

i flashed GreenKernel: its stock-based optimised. (no root)

and Tada !!! i have 0% drain in the night, and with wifi on i could get 2% drain in the night ! 

@Sony YOU! really.

THANKS XDA DEVELOPERS.

Screenshot_20171207-094109.png

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Z5 compact draining battery while idling in the night significantly

ramo2 wrote:

-i tried airplane mode in nigh : draining is identical as if no airplane mode

Try going in to Safe Mode.

Press the Power button until you get the Power Menu Options, then Press and hold either Power Off or Restart until the Safe Boot dialogue appears 

See what the battery does in Safe Mode

Also try Ultra Stamina for a night.

Aircraft Mode should have given you a near flat decline where the battery will typically drain  1-5%

When I did my tests a while ago, I could get 50 days projected Standby in Aircraft Mode

Screenshot_20170102-230950.pngScreenshot_20161024-191039.pngScreenshot_20161024-190847.png0132.jpg0131.jpg

Lollipop should hold a standard of 2 Days after flash

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/27652iE50850DC55607016

Screenshot_2015-12-02-21-50-17[1].pngScreenshot_2015-12-03-08-10-04[1].png

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Regular
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

thanks for the reply,

yes i made the tests, 

safe mode was the exact same , as well as turning on stamina mode .

I lost almost 20% in the night  , still phone idle is the one eating the battery.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

@ramo2 wrote:

thanks for the reply,

yes i made the tests, 

safe mode was the exact same , as well as turning on stamina mode .

I lost almost 20% in the night  , still phone idle is the one eating the battery.

can you show us the current running processes in Developers Options?

Running Services

and cached

Screenshot_20171126-205905.pngScreenshot_20171126-205912.pngScreenshot_20171126-205918.png

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Regular
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Screenshot_20171130-145356.pngScreenshot_20171130-145402.pngScreenshot_20171130-145408.pngScreenshot_20171130-145416.png

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Get rid of any sync for messenger and Instagram.

you will never get an decent battery life with anything facebook related, or anything live push notification ...

restrict it's data, or find a way to do it for device downtime overnight

android wear will keep device sensors running 24/7 for usage information and telemetry

with those services running, your battery graph is actually running standard and as expected

Regular
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

oh ! Sorry , but mate !

are talking serious ?  ?

i buy an android phone , premium phone A FLAGSHIP , to tell me to remove all applications ? 

when i was on MM or LL , i had 3 times more Apps and 4 Emails and ALL PUSH NOTIFICATION and batter roughly goes 36h !

on my Z3 as well it last 48h with its big battery. 

now you tell me remove facebook lite and messenger and its the reason of battery drain ? 

i guesss you're wrong for one thing : i try safe mode -__- and phone still drains 

i also try fresh install with no apps and delete all bloatware and phone drains the same, even with stamina mode all night, Sync switched off, SAME 

that's aftet the N update. 

so it have to be logical, push and apps are not the resposnible for this ,its software issue.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

It does though, Facebook is my #1 hate... I usually delete it or disable it before I put my SIM in for the first time.

You're doubling up too though, Messenger and Lite.

I extract the APK from my test device to install Lite without Google App Indexing

Here's my main device which I lock down tighter than Peter Pans tights

Screenshot_20171203-122730.pngScreenshot_20171203-122406.pngScreenshot_20171203-122429.png

This is what's on my other device over 24hr

Screenshot_20171203-122656.png

Main Messenger does a crap ton more useless stuff, which is why I don't have it installed, and neither the Facebook app

ill do a better side by side over 24 hr so you can see it a little clearer, I don't have detailed usage turned on for the test device, but I do now... back in 48ish hours

bbl

I'll do a role reversal for main device, and keep both open in background, except this time my main device will restrict data, and the other device will just be listening

Screenshot_20171203-124958.png Screenshot_20171203-124945.png

If you don't turn off Bluetooth at night, that's going to keep talking to your Android Wear devices too.

If it's not been battery optimized for a user setting to sleep when inactive. The Z5C should go to deep sleep after 4 hours of sensors not receiving input.

If it's staying awake, there's an app preventing sleep mode

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Here is my Z5C-WHITE (Just my name for devices... the white one is my test/dev/dirty) that I basically just had sit there opposite of what I did yesterday...

I also found out that Facebook Messenger Lite will close itself and app window when the device sleeps, so points there for them actually putting that in... I had to launch the Lite app when I woke both devices up. This device is not signed in to any Google services or accounts.. Bluetooth was not left on

Screenshot_20171204-073327.png Screenshot_20171204-073517.png Screenshot_20171204-073437.png

Here's my Z5C-BLACK which I used for 2 hours last night writing an email, this device has multiple Google accounts, except most of the apps I don't use often I have set to be manually launched, which I left running last night, "open app windows".. Bluetooth was left on

Screenshot_20171204-073326.png Screenshot_20171204-073541.png Screenshot_20171204-073533.png

You should see the difference in CPU have on the Z5C-B compared to when I left it as my normal setup in the screen shot in the post above, where the device basically just went to sleep with almost no CPU usage throughout the night... and you can see the difference with a higher CPU usage overall, even though both devices are in/should be  the sleep state

sketch-1512338318159.png

Here you can clearly see spikes in CPU, which is the WiFi keep alive I have set with the standard WiFi settings.. and the rest of the time, the CPU has nothing else to do but sleep

Screenshot_20171203-122730.png

Here it is for last night, and then a 72 hour history too, targeting  messenger Lite.. I should have done an overall of the device the other day, but I didn't, so I have to use Lite as the comparison

Screenshot_20171204-081127.pngScreenshot_20171204-081047.png

If you have a target of 1% drain per hour over night, that will be decent for a device with apps loaded, compared to a device from factory reset. From reset, that's when I was able to squeeze out about 4 hours per 1%

Unless you don't have the apps you can see that's causing the most drain for me, and limit Facebook - it will be almost impossible to find which of the System apps for Google or Sony causing your drain, because of the drain the other apps cause that is imposed on the battery graph

That's why I said get rid of the other apps doing sync first, to start looking, you don't need to permanently never use, but you can't do testing with those apps running

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Once you get the 3rd party apps configured

You can look at doing something like this - but be prepared to manually trigger and monitor yourself:

Screenshot_20171204-174530.png

Talkback and Translate are linked internally, so if you disable Talkback, you partially lose functionality for Translate... which is always on to detect user highlighted words when text fields are in focus

Doing something like this will convert your smart phone to a stupid phone:

Screenshot_20171204-175234.pngScreenshot_20171204-175239.pngScreenshot_20171204-175227.png