account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z5 broken screen, how to connect mouse with OTG

Rookie
Message 1 of 24
Message 1 of 24

Z5 broken screen, how to connect mouse with OTG

Help!!! Broken screen on Z5, usb recognition NOT done before break. Is there any way to get unit to recognise usb otg so I can use mouse to access . Unlocking is not a problem as thumb print done. I can get to home screen but of course touch don't work at all. Aid or ideas appreciated. Thanks

23 REPLIES
Message 2 of 24
Message 2 of 24

Re: Z5 broken screen

Broken means physical damage or other problems?
Rookie
Message 3 of 24
Message 3 of 24

Broken screen meaning glass is cracked in numerous places, touch now unuseable. Phone was dropped , no other damage thanks
Emperor
Message 4 of 24
Message 4 of 24

@PJW28

I'm sorry to say this, but there's no other way around this.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 5 of 24
Message 5 of 24

Thanks,so it seems. Everyone and everywhere I've asked says the same. New screen Monday at huge expense. Not that I'lol go into it, but I loathe Vodafone right now!!! Grrr
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 24
Message 6 of 24

Hi @PJW28,

Sorry to hear this. sad

I realize this might be too late but you should be able to get the phone to recognise a connected USB device by forcing a power off (pressing and holding volume up (+) and the power key) and then powering on the phone with the USB device already connected to the phone with an OTG adapter.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 7 of 24
Message 7 of 24

how can i change the phone into media file transfer mode i was able to login using the steps with an OTG cable but how do i change the mode of the phone to MTP mode ?

One time poster
Message 8 of 24
Message 8 of 24

Thanks for the tip on how to get the Sony Experia z5 to recognise a USB mouse with USB otg. I brought the adaptor from Maplin, we even tried it in store (which didn't work) but I brought it anyhow to try again at home. So now i can access the phone and perhaps do an online backup ( next thing to try). 

Next question is can i connect my Experia to Xperia Xompanion on my PC at the same time ?

Normally I would use USB, however that is taken. Can I make a WIFI connection ? 

Thanks 

Davrix 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 24
Message 9 of 24

@KyleTommo It will not be possible to select connection mode if you connect the phone to a PC after unlocking it. What you can do is use the OTG cable and mouse to make a backup to an SD card or to the online account using the Backup & Restore feature found in Settings.

@davrix Xperia Companion will not be able to connect to the phone since you need to choose connection mode after connecting the phone to a PC. As mentioned above you can make a backup to an SD card or to the online account. There might also be third party backup alternatives one could turn to.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 10 of 24
Message 10 of 24

Thank you, thank you, thank you, this answer saved my day, I use to have Sony Z2 with broken screeen, then i found out about the usb mouse, then I`ve upgrade it to Z5 Premium and broke the screen screen yesterday, tryed with the mouse but it didn`t work, i was so surprised and disapointed because of that, never thouth that a simple restart will do it. somethimes the answer is soo simple. smile happy