account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5 Premium got too dim on sunlight viewing - Overheating?

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Z5 Premium got too dim on sunlight viewing - Overheating?

Hi all, i have experienced something strange with my Z5P. When i take a walk on bright sunny day, the screen got bright for about 2-3 minutes, but then it would go down to the dimmest state without any info. I tried to push it up manually but it won't do. so i decided to pocket it for a while and when i'm in shade, i turn it on again and it goes back to normal.. So my question is, is this normal due to 4K display? Or is it a bug in Marshmallow? Because it really makes me hard to read at outdoor after a while. The screen surface sure is hot though.. Anybody have the same experience?

14 REPLIES 14
Apprentice
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Z5 Premium got too dim on sunlight viewing - Overheating?

I have the same problem with the display. It dims itself although have set the brightness to full. Have shut down stamina and adaptive bright mode but problem persist.
Emperor
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

@hanzip87

I"ve seen this on my Z5P and Z5, if the phone gets too hot it will dim the screen, this is true to other smartphones and/or tablets.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Using my Z5P for first time in bright sunshine and experiencing same problem but my phone isn't hot. Tried all brightness controls but makes no difference. Come on Sony how about some comment, answer or better still some advice? What's the point in forums if there's never an answer to rectify the problem?
One time poster
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

I too am suffering this issue with my Z5P, even in hazy sunshine when the phone is not hot it is so dim I cannot see a thing unless I find shade and even then it is not easy. Have tried manual brightness, stanard on and off procedure several times, checked stamina mode, checked for any other apps that may be interfering and no joy. I have had the phone nearly a year and only recently started to notice it. Has anyone been given a solution for this?
One time poster
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Is Sony addressing this issue? The worst time for the screen to be dim is in direct sunlight, This is the type of problem that makes me want to throw the phone into the lake.
Learner
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

I have the same problem. It automatically dims by itself when i have the brightness on manual.

It brightness works/stays the same in the sun for a few mins then all of a sudden just dims to a very low level.

I don't remember having the same issues on lollipop.

Adviser
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I have just updated to the latest version of Marshmallow yesterday and my phone is basically dead, it gets hot and i mean really hot with the warning notification,also battery is just a joke even when not using it the battery just runs so low, the phone doesnt actually charge when its on as its using the battery that quickly. 

So now i need to buy a new phone after updatingto latest kernel, isSony taking the or what? I have used Sony since the Arc S but never again this is absolutely shocking.

Adviser
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Is anyone else having issues this bad? The phone is unusable Z5 compact by the way

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

i having also same problem then what is it solution for it. i have test samsung phones of my friends they does not have this types of issues

→Handset Make/Model -: Sony Xperia Z5 Premium Dual Sim (E6883)
→ NON-ROOTED

→ Country -: India
→ Platform-: Android
→ The bug is-: Always