account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 Premium battery draining while sleeping

SOLVED
Sony Xperia Support
Message 21 of 41
Message 21 of 41

Re: Z5 Premium battery draining while sleeping

@read

Did you also check screen and chrome to see how much they've been active? They are the ones that use most of your battery.

Looking at the graph, the power consumption looks low when you're not using the phone and depending on how much the display has been active, that battery usage may be normal.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adept
Message 22 of 41
Message 22 of 41

Sorry, I thought I'd included that one. This is the berakdown, Chrome used a total of 9% battery.Screenshot_2016-02-05-12-05-29.pngached that one...

Adept
Message 23 of 41
Message 23 of 41

Tell you what, lets just call this one closed shall we!

Emperor
Message 24 of 41
Message 24 of 41

@read

again, you forgot the graph screenshot

settings > power management > battery > tap on the graph 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Message 25 of 41
Message 25 of 41

Very sorry, I thought I'd posted it [but obviously I didn't].

TBH I had given up [pending an update to the OS] given that people seemed more concerned with etiquette than solving the problem.

Personally I doubt it’s my setup! I think there’s something going on somewhere in the OS. I've spent most of my adult life programming low level code in C/C++ [writing network management software] and this feels like a system bug [I include erratic behaviour due to the presence of an otherwise stable apps as a bug].

The erratic power consumption patterns I've observed [particularly in the OS and Google framework] are abnormal, and point to something like a thread that isn't finding a lock, or a listener that's continually polling something that’s no longer there.

Unfortunately by their nature problems like this are difficult to replicate [if they were easy to isolate they wouldn’t have got out into the world!]

Anyway, here's the battery graph, and good luck…

P.S. When this was taken I had about six apps and services in the whitelist for power management [Google Play Services, Google Framework, Tasker, Wear, Google Fit, Google Keep] to allow my watch to work when the phone’s screen was off. Yes I do know that it would have negated a lot of how the Power management worked, but it shouldn’t have led to a sudden and massive power drain.

I've since removed everything from the whitelist except for the Android Wear app, and deleted all apps that the system tells me are preventing it from sleeping [Keep and Fit]. I've also implemented tasker's to sleep all running apps using Greenify when the screen shuts down, and turn off WiFi. I keep Bluetooth on because I rely on notifications from my watch for things like calendar events, which is why I've put it in the whitelist just in case. 

The battery life is still not great, but I’ve just accepted having to frequently recharge my phone [sometimes as often as 3 times in one day].

I've also encountered another bug along the way!

The audio frequently plays through the main speakers when a headset is plugged in [specifically a Sony MDR-NC31EM] which is incredibly annoying as I rely on being able to drown out the world with music because I hate - and I really do mean HATE - crowded places!

P.P.S To be clear at night I turn off all interfaces [and put the phone into airplaine mode], so there should be little to no battery drain. 

Barry

Screenshot_2016-02-05-12-04-56.png

Emperor
Message 26 of 41
Message 26 of 41

@read

That's still not the screenshot, you have to touch/tap on the graph and you will get it. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Message 27 of 41
Message 27 of 41

Ok, wasn't aware of that! I will go through the whole exercise again, tap on the graph and post it, but you'll have to give me a few days as I don't have the luxury of not charging my phone in order to gather debug info. All this will probably be fixed with the next update e anyway...
Adept
Message 28 of 41
Message 28 of 41

Ok, here are all the screen shots.  I've added two apps to the white list foScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-19-54.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-08.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-13.pngr the power management STAMINA mode.  Life log [because it told me to], and the Android Wear app [because I need my watch to stay connected to my phone. Screenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-20.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-13.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-33.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-26.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-53.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-21-01.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-20-13.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-21-16.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-21-24.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-21-30.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-16-21-36.png

Emperor
Message 29 of 41
Message 29 of 41

@read

As you can see on the first screenshot with the graph, the phone was kept awake the whole time, not just when the screen was on. 

Adept
Message 30 of 41
Message 30 of 41

I know that, and I believe I told you what was in the whitelist [which would make that a forgone conclusion]. At the time none of the radio interfaces where on, and and white the phone wasn't asleep, and it should have drained that much power either! Because I have a number of apps and services in my whitelist to keepy watch from disco extinct, and but I did say that...