account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Z5 Microphone Problem

One time poster
Message 1 of 59
Message 1 of 59

Z5 Microphone Problem

Hey guys, I recently just purchased the Z5 on Black Friday and starting last night I've been experiencing a problem related to my microphone in that it isn't working. No one can hear me during calls or when you record videos.

I checked to see if there was microphone suppression settings but unfortunately there isn't any.

I want to see if I can fix it first before taking it in just because my old phone broke on Halloween and I went an entire month without a phone up until j got this one and so I'm trying to avoid letting it go.

Thanks in advance.
58 REPLIES 58
Emperor
Message 2 of 59
Message 2 of 59

Re: Z5 Microphone Problem

@Djrick

Settings > about phone > diagnostics > test the phone 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 59
Message 3 of 59

Hi Djrick,

You could also boot to safemode to see if this is software related.

Safemode instructions

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 4 of 59
Message 4 of 59

I have the same problem.  People can't hear me. Also the phone get heated where camera area is. EE is saying they will replace my phone for the 3rd time. I am thinking it is the Sony's problem. 

I never had any problem when I was with HTC.  I spoke to Sony today. they saying, I will have to send in for repair. what is the point of selling every phone faulty!!!!

One time poster
Message 5 of 59
Message 5 of 59

Just started to have issues with the microphone on phone calls. Have run the diagnostic system in the phone, the recording it made of me talking was fine!!
Rang my partners phone couldn't hear me then rang the home phone still couldn't hear me.
Owned a Z3 for two years no issue's.
Don't no what next to try!
Visitor
Message 6 of 59
Message 6 of 59

Im also experiencing the problem, sometimes the microphone is working and sometimes it is not. This also happen in apps with voice messaging. Usually it is (temporary) solved by restarting the phone. More insight on solving this would be great. 

One time poster
Message 7 of 59
Message 7 of 59

I'm having the same problem. How come when I'm on a call and switch to speaker phone my mic works. Is there an independent mic when on speaker phone? I called SONY today and they told me to send in the phone and they'll have a look at it and send it back to me in 14 days...
Nonsense... I think I'll post this on Twitter/Facebook. Buyer beware...
One time poster
Message 8 of 59
Message 8 of 59

Had this problem but then I followed Jake's tip and booted to safemode, microphone is working fine
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 9 of 59
Message 9 of 59

@Jpdawgz wrote:
Had this problem but then I followed Jake's tip and booted to safemode, microphone is working fine

Hi, If that is fine in safe mode means something is wrong with the software unless you can identify if any app that cause this to happen so that you could uninstall it to resolve this or at times can also be some problem with the OS which you can do a factory data reset or perform a software repair with Xperia Companion.

Keep us update after you've done with any of the option.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 59
Message 10 of 59

I agree with @Bandolero

if it does work in Safemode then it is likely third party, have a look through any new apps since the issue started and try removing it.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.