account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Z5 Compact always reporting poor mobile network signal

Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Z5 Compact always reporting poor mobile network signal

I have seen this discussed elsewhere. My Z5 compact rarely shows five bars for my Fido LTE network. It's usually around 1. Yet... as mentioned elsewhere, my mobile data speed is OK, not great, but it's working. However, in battery settings, it shows that I've had a poor mobile network connection all throughout the day... and I do have a fairly high Cell Standby battery usage.

Is this a phone problem?  My previous Galaxy Note 3 showed a good healthy Fido LTE mobile data connection at work. Sitting at same desk with my Z5 Compact, it shows that I have one bar, throughout most of Vancouver, it shows me as always having one bar. I get full bars at the strangest of locations: in a Skytrain (subway) station for example. 

Is there something poor or wrong with the mobile network antenna for this phone?  Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Z5 Compact always reporting poor mobile network signal

You can check the signal strength

1. Settings
2. About phone
3. SIM status
4. Signal stregth
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, I just checked mine, it's between -117 and -110 which is horrible all around. 

Emperor
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@netboysteve

That's indeed poor network coverage, that will have to be addressed by your carrier.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

youll find that sony shows the coverage reception bars (at the top) much lower than other phone manufacturers. ive checked my other phones, motorola and samsung and they will usually show 2-3 bars even though the db is the same on all the phones (around 100db).

i read in one of the other post somewhere, that its how sony shows the reception on the lte signal. weird..but as long as its not dropping like than its ok..annoying but ok.

im in the same boat as you.

Visitor
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

I just want to report i have the same poor network coverage. 0 to 2 or 3 while living in a big city using the best provider..

I contstantly have network losses when i'm on the phone calling with someone. Like 4 seconds people can not hear me anymore.

I tested with oter simcards and changed my simcard to an iphone or samsung, having great network coverage.
My conclusion is that the antenna is very bad, and while i also have the the connection loss when calling someone, i think i a have a very bad one....

I'm really interested if more people have this signal loss while phoning?

For me, this is not acceptable, i call allot during the day..

Hopefully there will be a fix, or i'll have to switch t another phone.

Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I don't think it's just my carrier. I never had this prob with my old phone. I can't send texts sometimes because there is no mobile network. Just ridiculous for a flagship phone. Love the form factor. Debating whether i keep. The other thing it's doing is eating into my battery as it shows poor mobile network all day and Cell Standby is high meaning i think that the phone is searching for a signal. I'm at the same building, same carrier.
Visitor
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Same problem here. Problem got worse and worse until now I have no network. Tried a system reboot and replacing Sim card. Nothing yet, searching for answers
Visitor
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Had the same problem and Sony care suggested doing a system reboot from a computer. This made a difference and i got my service back. But 2 weeks later I am not having service again.
Regular
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Same problem here. I have factory reset the phone completely and reinserted sim. No luck.

My wifes iphone on the same network has great reception.

I am pleased with the speed and photo quality but I generally disspointed with my Z5 compact.

Signal quality.

Speed to open camera and take a photo is slow too.

I going for industry standard S8 for my next phone.