account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 Compact OTG not working

Apprentice
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Z5 Compact OTG not working

Hi everyone.

I've had my compact since 2015 and it worked flawlessy, but it's been a while since it doesn't read any usb flash drive anymore.

I used to be able to move files from the phone to the drive and viceversa, but I can't anymore. Maybe because of an update?

I'm on adroid 32.4.A.1.54 Italian release

I tried the usbs (3 of them) on a XA and they work just fine, I've also formatted them so they should be fine. It must my phone.

Anyone has any idea on how to fix this problem? I also made a total reset with no use.

10 REPLIES 10
Pioneer
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Z5 Compact OTG not working

Hi @Al16;

Did you tried tap Settings Device connection > USB Connectivity > Detect USB device.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, but nothing works at all.

The charging and connection to the pc work perfectly, it isn't a connector problem too. :/

Pioneer
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

If you tried a factory reset and after it (without installing any apps or backups) it didn't work, the next step is a Software repair with Xperia Companion. 

Apprentice
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I'll try it this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know asap !

Thanks Slightly smiling Face

Apprentice
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Hi! I'm sorry it took me so long! I did the repair, nothing has changed...

The phone keeps searching for the drive but it fails everytime. I've just used the pen drive with the same adapter on a XA and it worked flawlessy

I am really confused now, it's absurd

Pioneer
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@Al16;

Can not say what can be the problem, if just after a software repair you can not detect a USB pen that you used to detect maybe you should get your device hardware looked at.

Just for curiosity with the developer options enabled in the settings menu what do you get under "Select USB configuration" of the developer menu?

Apprentice
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

I should have the battery changed soon, I'll try and ask to get a new connector too.

It's in MTP

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Same problem with my Z5 E6653, both OTG and NFC are not working anymore, even I tried to flash stock firmwares from Android 5.1.1, 6.0.1 to 7.1.1. It doesn't work at all.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Had the hardware changed and tried with many different flash drives that work fine with other phones. At this point I think it's a software restriction...

programmed obsolescence you know?