account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia Z5 Compact unusable after 7.1.1 update

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 121 of 197
Message 121 of 197

Re: Xperia Z5 Compact unusable after 7.1.1 update

Same issue here in Argentina.

One time poster
Message 122 of 197
Message 122 of 197

I've had most of the issues you describe, plus the video crashed the whole camera app if I tried to film anything. The only improvement was that the fingerprint recognition actually works now having never done so before for me.

I tried, as someone suggested, the cache reset (hold down the power and volume up buttons simultaneously) and left the phone off for about 5 minutes and hey presto its improved considerable. The homescreen is still loading icons individually, but faster now (although not as good as before) and the apps are opening reasonably quicly. The video now works fine I'm happy to say as I have a friend's wedding on Saturday and I've have been well naffed off not to have a camera/video for the day.

Worth a try for those of you who have similar issues, but remember to leave the phone off for a while before restarting - don't know why that makes a difference but it does apparently. Good luck all.

Sony - come on, sort this out ASAP please.

One time poster
Message 123 of 197
Message 123 of 197

Seriously - what is this all about?

Both my wife and I have the same issues on our Z5 Compact.

currently 13 pages of complaints and no answer from Sony?

One time poster
Message 124 of 197
Message 124 of 197

Same here

One time poster
Message 125 of 197
Message 125 of 197

+1 issue here in Hungary. 

- Battery drain like never before, hot back of phone

- Camera app crashes when taking a photo or video, have to restart phone to have it at least running somehow

- Caller and contacts hang a lot

- Home screen and apps pages take very long time to load

Tried wipe memory, it helped for a couple of hours, than back to fully unusable phone

Almost all apps are unusable (even the factory ones).....

Enthusiast
Message 126 of 197
Message 126 of 197

I was a bit skeptical but this process or disabling Movie Creator and going to Safe Mode definitely has resolved issues for me after 7.1.1 upgrade caused really bad performance.  Whether Movie Creator is really a culprit or not, this process (including the boot into safe mode) has made my Z5C go back to running normal.

Learner
Message 127 of 197
Message 127 of 197

So I have done this early last night and I haven't have the lag or misbeahaving apps / camera since.

I am disappointed that I can't use Movie Creator and would dearly love to know if / when Sony fixes this issue with that so I can start using again.

@MarcNL1 wrote:

Not the Android 7.1.1 update is the culprit, but the recently updated Movie Creator app!

So for everyone not reading the previous pages:

1. Disable MOVIE CREATOR
  2. Reboot into SAFE MODE 
    (while phone is on, press Power button, hold Reboot option for 1 second)
  3. Reboot again to normal mode
  4. Enjoy 2 days of standby time Slightly smiling Face
    (and no more lagging and no hot phone)

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 128 of 197
Message 128 of 197

Movie creator has been disabled on my device since 5.1.1. As much as I love myself, I didn't like the collages it made with my naked selfies and uploading it to Facebook.

Spoiler
jk
Spoiler
or am I?
Spoiler
delete facebook
Spoiler
Immune from revenge pr0n  better battery life
Spoiler
less kim Kardashian
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
One time poster
Message 129 of 197
Message 129 of 197

Like to hear as well ! 

My phone is even switching itself down, randomly. I have to use my workphone now, because this is really uselesss ! yesterday the battery was empty, without using my phone (!) , in 3 hours !

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 130 of 197
Message 130 of 197

no answer from sony b/c possibly they are doing *bad* and *wrong* things surreptitiously in their own s/w apps which conflicts with android?

OK....i tried the disable movie creator and boot into safe mode; STILL can't get incoming calls to ring!  EVEN in safe mode, my phone won't ring on incoming! Still having hard time dialling out to my contacts (requires multiple attempts)!? Basic telephony! back of phone heats like i had never noticed.

What was latest firmware BEFORE this 7.1.1 beast? How do i go back?