account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z5 Compact (and others) BMW bluetooth compatability issues

R33
Learner
Message 1 of 26
Message 1 of 26

Xperia Z5 Compact (and others) BMW bluetooth compatability issues

Hello,

I have just upgraded from an iPhone 5s to the Z5 Compact, whilst the iPhone paired seamlessly with the OEM bluetooth system in my 2005 E46 BMW the Xperia is unable to do so.

Research suggests this is an in-built issue with the Sony/Android bluetooth on v4.4 and higher, and cannot be resolved.

Before I return the phone for an exchange can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case, and that it is not going to be resolved in the next version of Android?

Thanks

Oliver

25 REPLIES 25
Learner
Message 2 of 26
Message 2 of 26

Re: Xperia Z5 Compact (and others) BMW bluetooth compatability issues

Hi I am having a similar issue. I picked up my z5 thursday but I have a vw touareg 2015 that's 2 weeks old. I had a iPhone connected to it without any problems but this thing seams to stay connected then drop out after a few minutes. Frustrating isn't the word. I have tried everything.  Pairing it from the phone. Pairing it from the car but it just keeps doing it. I know it's the phone. I am going to try a Samsung so tomorrow but this isn't good enough!

Learner
Message 3 of 26
Message 3 of 26

Can anyone tried this solution.

The reason why the phone won't auto pair, is because the phone does not give your carkit permission to download call history and other data. Even if you granted the phone this permission with the initial pairing.

Here is the step by step guide:

1. Make sure you have no existing bluetooth pairs. Clear all pairs in your carkit and your phone.

2. Pair the phone with your carkit.

3. Your phone will ask 2 questions about permissions. Check the box and allow. The phone will start to sync.

4. You carkit is done with syncing and it will ask you if you want to download your phonebook. Do this.

5. When its done copying, clear the Bluetooth pair on your phone (not on the Carkit!)

6. Give your phone a different Bluetooth name

7. In your carkit choose to pair a new phone (with the new name you just entered).

8. When the phone asks for permission for the carkit, check the box and choose cancel. Do this for both questions.

You don't have to copy your phonebook again (you can't anyway because you denied permission), but the phonebook that was downloaded earlier will still be available. Now the phone will pair automatically! With this trick you have your phonebook and automatic pairing.

Please tell me if this solution works!

There is one possible solution
Download this program and try out if it works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cp2.start.and.play.music.player

Some users reported that it worked if they use this program.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 4 of 26
Message 4 of 26

My Z5C also stutters and disconnects from my Volkswagen. Z3C worked fine. Both have Android 5.1.1.
Learner
Message 5 of 26
Message 5 of 26

Just sharing my exp. My 2013 bimmer with nav package doesn't have any trouble at all with the z5c. Sync effortlessly and my phone audio works too. So did the samsung s6 and the z3c before that. i had a 2010 1er without nav and that also worked without issue with any android or other phones i owned. Bluetooth is a standard protocal, so it should work. However i know that some features require a bmw app such as the social media integration, which i didnt try. Seems pointless.
Learner
Message 6 of 26
Message 6 of 26

I see you R33 are about to return your Z5 phone.    My patience must be above average since I've been struggling with the bluetooth on my whole Sony history from Z1, via Z3 and now to Z5.  Infact I've blamed my Ford Mondeo dealer for this all the time.  I really could not imagine that this was a Sony fault... :-)  

My wife inherited my Z1 phone, but she got totally fed up with it and "begged" for me to help her back to Iphone.....where she is now. My son has a Z3 and erperince the same problems...

I'm new to this forum, and had big expectations for Sony to answer me when I posted this issue, but I see no sign of them, just other frustrated members adding similar info to my posting.  

I've bought my last Sony for a good while and are now in a situation where I think I have to warn all my friends to buy one as well...  The advantage of a "waterproof" phone doesn't cover up for this dayly bluetooth struggle.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Other-Discussions-General/Bluetooth-seems-not-to-be-fully-compliant-on...

One time poster
Message 7 of 26
Message 7 of 26

Same problem too with my Z5 Dual!

After few seconds, bluetooth disconect and reconnect...

I call lot for my work, it is a big problem for me!!!

Apprentice
Message 8 of 26
Message 8 of 26

No help to offer just a message to also complain about this issue.

Me and my colleague who both have Z5s, both connecting to VW built-in hands-free-kits (Dicovery media) both disconnect / reconnect randomly and sometimes fail to connect at all without cycling bluetooth on the phone. Was working fine with the HTC One M7s we had before (also on lolipop).

Iain

Adviser
Message 9 of 26
Message 9 of 26

I have a Z5 and I have pretty much the same issue with a 2010 Jag XF, phone connects via BT for a a differing period of time then disconnects, sometimes reconnecting sometime not.

I've not had this happen during a call, and not with other Sony Xperia Z's I've owned.

Also I don't appear to have this with other items connected Via BT.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 26
Message 10 of 26

I have the same problem with my Z5 Dual connecting with my car's in-built system it connects and after few seconds ir minutes and disconnects randomly. I haven't had this type of problem with my previous phones (Z2, Z3 Dual, and Z3+ Dual)