account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia Z5 Compact Charging Issue

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

Xperia Z5 Compact Charging Issue

I am having this problem with my new Z5 compact which is currently running the latest Android 6.0 update. When charging to full from 60% or lower, the battery gauge in Android doesn't seem to go steadily to 100%. It normally stops at 96% or 89% and the charging green LED will turn off. When replugging the charger, it will then quickly rise back to 99% or 100%. 

When checked the battery voltage, it is actually already 4.34V which is full for this model. So I performed system repair and it fixed the problem. It seems the Android system software battery gauge is messed up. Then after more than 1 week later, the problem comes back again and I'm performing the phone repair again on PC Companion now. 

Is this a bug on the new Android 6.0 software? Anyone having the same problem or someone from Sony please check? Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

Re: Xperia Z5 Compact Charging Issue

Do you experience the same in safe mode?

How to boot on safe mode
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008#U348008

How to boot on safe mode on Lollipop
1. press and hold the power key
2. once you get the pop up menu 
3. press and hold "power off" 
4. Boot on safe mode should become available
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Thanks and I'll try that again later. Just wondering if this is a software bug in Marshmallow since it all points to the software battery gauge in android not registering the actual battery level properly. FYI, never ever encountered anything like this before on my old Acro S and Z3 Compact..
Inhabitant
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

Still having the same problem, just tried charging in Safe Mode from around 67%. Still stuck at 93% at the battery indicator and the LED not lighting up green.

Next, I powered off the phone again then directly plugged in the charger. There however, shows 100% at the big battery icon on the screen and the green LED is lit. Next I unplugged the charger and straight away powered on the phone and it shows 99% instead of 100%. I plugged it in again an it shows 100% a few moments later..

Seriously think this is a software issue as I have read there are others who experience similar issue. Sony please fix this!! 

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

Update.

I have installed Battery Monitor Widget app to check the battery. During the initial setup page, the app shows two battery capacities taken from battery files and battery profile. The capacity from battery files is higher at 2840mah while the capacity from battery profile is correct at 2700mah.

Imo, this may be the issue in the current Android 6.0 software that causes the battery charging and inaccurate gauge problems. Sony, please check on this!!
Inhabitant
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Update

This is the latest information from the Battery Monitor app when the issue happen again. I have tried with various chargers, including the original charger that came with the phone, 2 other different original Sony chargers from my previous Sony phones and also a Philips fast charger rated at 2.1A. All having occasional issues like this. Also there are a few times, the phone charged itself to over 4.4V, which feels like overcharging to me.

Also quick charge didn't really work with the Philips 2.1A charger as it never exceeded 1A on the current draw during charge.

Is this normal? Are all these charging behaviour somehow controlled by the software? Anybody with the same issues?

Screenshot_20160628-093146.png

Screenshot_20160628-093129.png

Screenshot_20160628-093205.png

Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

Which Update is installed on your Device?

Because Sony has released an soft charging update... (beta)

Please read for more information :

http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/06/20/new-xperia-beta-firmware-with-soft-charging-landing-this-week-2...
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

Yeah, the link mentions Z2/Z3, but after two weeks these kind of updates normally get released for Z5.

And maybe Companion Repair installs the latest updates...
Inhabitant
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

I'm on the 32.2.A.0.224 release. Does this also actually mean sony is overcharging their phones to get more battery life while sacrificing on longevity?

No wonder my previous z3 compact battery bulged only after 1+ years...
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

This has nothing to do with Sony, it's on all Smartphone as it seems, this is with current technology unavoidable...

Your update is release version, not beta...

Do you use slow charging and does it work for you to?