account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XPERIA Z5 charging problems

Rookie
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

XPERIA Z5 charging problems

Hello!

I have my xperia for a year now and i'm very happy with the device. Except one thing...
I have big charging problems. When i plug in the device it makes the sound as it should. But the battery indicator doesnt show the lightning bolt and the red led that should be on is not (more like orange)... If i go into settings > battery it is showing that it is pluged in.. But even after some time the percentage doesn't rise nor does it fall... Even if i'm using the fome while plugged in the battery doesn't fall... So strange!
I tried changing chargers and cables .. For some time it workef if i connected it to a new cable but soon after some time the new cable wasn good...
Please help!
8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: XPERIA Z5 charging problems

Are you using a third party launcher ?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Try to test the phone in safe mode.

1. press and hold the power key
2. once you get the pop up menu 
3. press and hold "power off" 
4. Boot on safe mode should become available
Rookie
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

What third party launcher??
I tried that with no sucess... I did a factory reset and itstarted working... In the morning i was able to charge via my laptop and car charger (puro)... In the evening i wanted to recharge and it didn't charge.. Niw it only charges via car charger....
Tried different cables (including original) and i tried different wall chargers (including original)...
Rookie
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Now i tried an old Samsung charger and it started to charge but after about half an hour it stoped. Then i rebooted and it started charging again... I doubt this is a USB faliure...
One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Did you ever fix your  problem?   My phone has been doing that for the past month & it's doing my head in.  Mine actually drops percentage when its plugged in.  I havent done a factory reset & I'm dreading sending it away as I have photos on the phone I want to keep.  I've tried uploading them to my laptop numerous times but they just dont (dont know if its because I have a useless macbook but using companion so should work - only uploads about 5 photos).  I've done the power off the button thing, absoluttely everything.  The only cables I use are genuine ones.  

Visitor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

I have the same problem, did you solve it? How?

Adviser
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Hello TadyTheFish!

I've had my Z5compact since november and have had similiar problems. In december it only could be charged via the car charger and it wasn't possible to connect to Xperia companion on the pc. The car charger have a higher Ampere output than the original charger, which might explain... After contact with Sony support they made a warranty repair (change of motherboard) and it worked fine again. For some weeks. Then there was the same problems to connect  to pc but charging was OK. I got a lot of good suggestions from this forum and from Sony support, but in the end I had to send it in for a second warranty repair (change of USB and motherboard and perhaps some more things) and since then everything works fine. 

One of the things you could try is this: Go to settings, then apps, then the three small dots up in the right corner and choose "Show system". Then scroll down the long way to USB connection. Open it and then click storage, and then click clear data. After all that it was often possible for me to connect to the pc (sometimes it was nessessary to restart the phone before trying to connect to make it work). If you do that, perhaps it can be possible to backup the phone with Xperia companion, which could be nice before perhaps sending the phone for a repair.

Since that manoevre made it possible to connect, I didn't want to believe (in spite of what I was told) that it was a hardware problem, so I waited several weeks before I sent it in. 
Of course I don't know if you have the same problem, but this may be something to consider.

Good luck!

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

If you are using Emma software. Run service exchange. And then update it. It should work.