account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Worst phone ever

Highlighted
Adept
Message 1 of 28
Message 1 of 28

Worst phone ever

Have a z5 compact. I've never owned a phone that was so slow at opening apps, closing apps, constantly freezes up especially when I have an incoming call and phone freezes and won't do anything when pressing the answer button.
Even my z1 was far better than this phone.
I've tried factory reset. I've tried reinstalling software through pc companion. Nothing seems to make it run any better.
Any ideas anyone as Sony support has been useless on previous occasions.
27 REPLIES 27
Emperor
Message 2 of 28
Message 2 of 28

Re: Worst phone ever

@smiffie71

I'm sorry to hear that, but the Z5 series are really fast, I'm almost certain that its a third party app causing this problem. 

Try this, boot on >>> safe mode and check if you experience the same lag.

By any chance, do you have a LOT of texts stored on your phone, more than 2K or 3K?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Message 3 of 28
Message 3 of 28

As I've said. It does it even after a factory reset and a reinstall of software via PCC. I've tried twice.

How do you know how much memory texts are using up?
Emperor
Message 4 of 28
Message 4 of 28

@smiffie71

You might need an app for that, but what I've seen on different Xperias is if you have a LOT of texts stored on the phone it will slow down that app and sometimes other apps if you recently open that app. 

Could you boot on safe mode and report back?

Also, if you could, it will be great if you can screen record the lag both on regular and on safe mode > upload it to youtube > post the link here. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 28
Message 5 of 28

@smiffie71, After you did the software repair, did you test it before you restored your back ups or installed any new apps?

Also, do you have Stamina mode enabled?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adept
Message 6 of 28
Message 6 of 28

Yes, tested before apps installed and after opening chrome and browsing for half hour or so and then opening the camera and taking photos, I found the camera slow to save photos and video. And video recording kept pausing and stuttering and sound out of sync. I've seen other people on here have the same problem.
Then the phone would start playing up and would be slow to open and close stock apps, didn't matter which one.
That was without stamina being enabled.

I also noted the phone getting very hot.
Adviser
Message 7 of 28
Message 7 of 28

You can send your device to service and take a new one if you've just bought for fewer 2 weeks or if the time is longer, they'll check your device and repair/replace free for you. I recognized my Z5 slightly slower than my old Z2, but I think that problem is caused by kernel/software which is not optimized for new SoC, we have to give time for Sony to they can improve it one by one.

Emperor
Message 8 of 28
Message 8 of 28

@smiffie71

Are you using an SD card to store both videos and pictures?

Apprentice
Message 9 of 28
Message 9 of 28

I had a Z3 which I loved. My daughters M3 was causing problems. So I decided to get a Z5 and give my daughter the Z3.

Anyhow the Z3 made me jump ship from the iphone. I tried Samsungs and went back to the iphone. The Z3 was laggless. Lots of storage with a decent SD card. Nice size screen. Couldn't ask for more. So I have kept with android because of this.

I'm not a gamer bar scrabble. Have wether, news, tide, bank, paypal, audible type apps. The Z3 handled it with aplomb. 

I've had my Z5 for nearly a month. Straight off the bat. I noticed slight lagg when opening apps. For a phone with a faster processor. This surprised me. I have exactly the same apps as my Z3. When playing scrabble it gets hot. Same as my Z3. So it's not a huge issue. The battery is not as good as my Z3. which for me was a game changer. This fixation for thinner phones is pointless if you can't keep a decent charge.

It's also totally bombed out while playing a video. It then took 5 minutes to reboot. I thought it had fried to be honest. 

The fingerprint sensor has stopped working after 3 weeks. It's a very handy feature. To have it not work now is a pita. 

I've read that users are hard resetting their phone. This is unaaceptable. To set these phones up takes a while. with authenticating apps etc. I never had to reset my Z3. My daughter is now enjoying my Z3 while I give her the 1000 yard stare with my Z5 in my hand.

I've done the software fix. No joy. So I'm wondering if support will suggest me robbing the Z3 back off of my daughter and I inflict her with the Z5.

How can a phone with a faster processor and more memory be slower than a previous model?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Apart from the hard reset. 

Emperor
Message 10 of 28
Message 10 of 28

@SpeedSailor

Settings > about phone > which build version does your phone currently has?

could you boot on > safe mode and test it for few hours?