account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Wifi doesn't connect while phone is in sleep

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 151 of 166
Message 151 of 166

Re: Wifi doesn't connect while phone is in sleep

3 days after the 'factory reset', my phone is still behaving ok.

It does not disconnects from the the WIFI in sleep mode, it does automatically reconnect to known WIFI, etc.

Now, I did not reinstall all applications I had before on my phone, only the ones that I really need, probably 20% of what I had before. Hence, I restate, this WIFI (I had also lately BT disconnects) might be all related to one app or to the number of applications.

Anyway, it seems for me it is now cleared, I'll report back if it reoccurs. But I advise to do a factory reset and be cautious when adding applications back on the phone.

Adept
Message 152 of 166
Message 152 of 166

Not solved for me in the latest update either. No automatic reconnect to known Wi-Fi networks when phone is in sleep. If the network is not highly reliable, the phone will lose the connection very quickly and only try to reconnect when it is unlocked.

Just a little reminder to all the people who have since again stated that they're never going to by Sony phones again: this is an Android issue, and NOT a Sony issue. If you google for the description of the problem with other manufacturer names, you will find many discussions about the exact same problem starting to happen with the Marshmallow upgrade for handsets from LG, Samsung, etc.

One time poster
Message 153 of 166
Message 153 of 166

Solved?

Dear Sony,

I have been a loyal customer for years,

- Portable cd players

- Home teatre

- TV sets

- Sony ericsson

- Vaio

- Xperia tablet

- Xperia Z and now Xperiz Z5 compact.

How on earth can you say this issue solved while its still occuring?

Can you please atleast make it look like you guys are listening to your customers?

Adviser
Message 154 of 166
Message 154 of 166

First, for me and after a factory reset, this issue dissapeared (along with other issues).

=>Anamon2

This is not for me a Google issue, it is a Sony issue.

I don't care what is inside and does not work, I bought a Sony phone and as such, I hold Sony accountable.

Adept
Message 155 of 166
Message 155 of 166

=>Anamon2

This is not for me a Google issue, it is a Sony issue.

I don't care what is inside and does not work, I bought a Sony phone and as such, I hold Sony accountable.

I get the frustration. Part of the problem is the flawed Android ecosystem. Stuff that is not a problem of the modifications by the phone manufacturer, but needs to be fixed "upstream" by developers of Android, can take a long time to trickle back down to users. Once Google fixes it, they can push the new version to Sony & Co., who will then have to release a new firmware based on that fixed version.

The problem is, Google has acknowledged (slowly) that the issue is with them, promised to fix it, then did nothing for half a year, then claimed to have fixed it. Sony representatives have informed about this, and have since pushed the version that, according to Google, supposedly fixes the issue. Yet it wasn't, so all the reports have to creep back up to Google, probably lie on somebody's desk again for another 6 months, and then be fixed and the new version creep back down. There's really nothing Sony or Samsung or anyone else can do. (Except, maybe offering an official downgrade to Android 5 – that actually wouldn't sound bad!)

Even users of Nexus devices, who are the quickest to get fixes, haven't gotten this solved yet. What can you do? Go to Google's Android feedback and bug reporting spots (if there are any) and complain there, make some more noise. By buying an Xperia smartphone, you're not just a customer of Sony, but of Google as well, and in this, the responsibility seems to sit squarely with them.

Inhabitant
Message 156 of 166
Message 156 of 166

I have had this problem for months. I had to replace my Xperia Z5 Dual because the IP was defective and the problem is exactly the same with the new unit. So the issue is 100% related to Sony's software. This thread has been open since November! That is almost 10 months ago.
Are Sony taking the pics?
Inhabitant
Message 157 of 166
Message 157 of 166

I have found that the phone's connection is much more stable on previous iterations of the WIFI standard. The modem/router provided by my ISP will only operatin in 802.11AC, so I went out and bought a second hand 802.11N AP just to user for my phone (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNR1000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic).

It is kind of stupid hack to have to set-up a WIFI network just for my phone but a US$15 router beats replacing a US$600 phone...

One time poster
Message 158 of 166
Message 158 of 166

I had the same problem with two Z5c phones. I thought it's my router, etc

I found this solution on another forum and for my phone it seems to work. 

Enable developer options (settings/about phone/tap build number repeatedly), then go into settings/developer options/Use legacy DHCP client - enable that. 

This will revert to the Lollipop DHCP client which didn't have this kind of problems. 

I think this is an android 6 problem that neither google nor sony were able to solve yet.

One time poster
Message 159 of 166
Message 159 of 166

@danmasdfghjkl Thank you! Works pefect - any known draw backs?
Visitor
Message 160 of 166
Message 160 of 166

WiFi: no more automatic connections to known ssid since last update

Since the last systemupdate my Z5 has two problems:
1. Restarts about every one or two hours. Sometimes during use, sometimes in standby.
2. WiFi doesn't connect to known ssid automatically. I haven't select the ssid manually and it works. Yes the box connect automatically at the ssid is marked.
I really need help. The mobile is almost useless former like this.