account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Wifi doesn't connect while phone is in sleep

SOLVED
Talent
Message 11 of 166
Message 11 of 166

Re: Wifi Issue

I've always had this issue on my z5 since I received it.

The actual circumstances on when it occurs is weird we it could happen < 1hr after the screen goes to sleep, or many hours after (i.e. in the middle of the night).

I always know about it as I have an ITTT app (Trigger) installed which disables WiFi and other activities when the phone disconnects from the office and home networks, so I'll never get a reconnection to the WiFi network.

I have WiFi on always in the advanced configuration.

z5c
Regular
Message 12 of 166
Message 12 of 166

Re: Wifi Issue

My issue is that my Z5c doesnt connect to WiFi automatically, unless i simply unlock the device. No stamina mode activated, scanning is always there, and its set to WiFi on always. I even did a reset, and no use. I have the latest firmware running. (32.0.A.6.152). I need to know if all Z5c are facing the same issue, because only few are talking about this. 

I even made a seperate thread for this, but not much help. If this is a software issue, then i dont have to waste time and exchange the handset.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Xperia-Z5-Compact-WiFi-Issue/td-p/105...

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 13 of 166
Message 13 of 166

Re: Wifi doesn't connect while phone is in sleep

I'm sorry to hear this.

Could you please test if this also happens when the phone is in safe mode?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 14 of 166
Message 14 of 166

*Z5 is doing same thing.
z5c
Regular
Message 15 of 166
Message 15 of 166

Yes ive tried it in safe  mode too and it doesnt connect to WiFi automatically when i come in range of a saved WiFi. It only auto connects when i simply unlock the device. I did a hard reset yesterday and the problem is still there. For all the saved WiFis when i come in range it simply wnt auto connect. I waited even for an hour and, later when i just woke up the device then it connects automatically.

z5c
Regular
Message 16 of 166
Message 16 of 166

Sony Customer Care, instead of giving me a couple of new rankings from ur automated system for my profile everyday, i would appreciate it if u guys find a work around for the problem i mentioned previously- about my device not connecting to a saved wifi on its own untill i just unlock the device and start using it...please dont ask me to hard reset, or safe mode test, or check settings if wifi is set to be always on and scanning on, or stamina mode...all those parameters have been checked. Why wouldnt my handset just connect on its own to a saved wifi, when on range. Do i have to always nudge the handset to connect always,...its supposed to be seamless. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 17 of 166
Message 17 of 166

I'm sorry for the late reply.

I've got more information about this and when Z5 is in sleep mode (display turned off) it will not connect to WiFi networks automatically. It's designed this way to save battery and you need to turn on the display in order for it to connect.

If you are connected to a WiFi network the phone will however stay connected also when display turns off if the setting  "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" is enabled.

1. From your Home screen, tap the Applications screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Settings > Wi-Fi.
  3. Tap the menu button (three vertical dots), then tap Advanced.
  4. Tap Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, then select an option.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 18 of 166
Message 18 of 166

If this was to save battery, why does it stay in LTE mode when in sleep?  LTE mode uses much more battery than wifi.  This is a bug not a feature.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 19 of 166
Message 19 of 166

To connect to WiFi networks automatically, background scanning is needed and it's the background scanning that is turned off when the phone is in sleep mode which reduces battery usage.

I'm sorry to hear that you think this is a bug but it's designed this way by intention. I have forwarded feedback about adding a setting for it though.

Adviser
Message 20 of 166
Message 20 of 166

Thanks Rickard!  If it is configurable you will make many people happy.