account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WiFi is extremely slow

Message 1 of 23
Message 1 of 23

WiFi is extremely slow

I have an Xperia Z5 Premium and I am having a terrible experience with the wifi connection. Able to connect with no problems and it stays connected but the speed is ridiculously slow. I have a 10mb connection and if I run a speed test I get .01mb of speed, have tried different tools to measure and all show similar results while I can test with a PC, iPad and a Samsung S7 and I get a normal speed result on those of 10-11 mbps. This is really annoying because it obviously doesn't let me use Remote Play because of the speed and when it connects it is impossible to play.

I have already rest the device to factory settings and it didn't help, also tried the Software Repair from PC Companion and it didn't help either.

Something to note, I once got an error saying that the wifi couldn't start while it was already started andnI had to restart to get it on again.

What can I do about this?
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Message 2 of 23

Re: WiFi is extremely slow

I should also say that if I turn off the wifi, I get an excellent speed from my mobile carrier and up to 35mbps speed result on the tools mentioned.
Emperor
Message 3 of 23
Message 3 of 23

@JorgeMoreno92

could you download speedtest and test the connection?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 4 of 23
Message 4 of 23

Do you experience the same in safe mode?

How to boot on safe mode
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008#U348008

How to boot on safe mode on Lollipop
1. press and hold the power key
2. once you get the pop up menu 
3. press and hold "power off" 
4. Boot on safe mode should become available
Message 5 of 23
Message 5 of 23

Justo did, also tried speedof.me/m which is a tool that uses only html5 and both throw the same results only on wifi .01 - .8 mb randomly.
Emperor
Message 6 of 23
Message 6 of 23

@JorgeMoreno92

try @Phy's suggestion and report back.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 7 of 23
Message 7 of 23

I am in safe Mode right now and I just run a couple tests and I AM getting nos much difference. Got .89 and .36
I used speedof since the apps are not available now. Still getting 35mbps when I am in Mobile data.
Emperor
Message 8 of 23
Message 8 of 23

@JorgeMoreno92

while in safe mode, could you forget and re-add that router?

Message 9 of 23
Message 9 of 23

I just did, and same behavior. Throwing .36 of speed.
I should mention that this happens in any WiFi connection. I hace access to my neighbor's network and ir shows pretty much the same result while he has 5mbps of speed Slightly frowning Face
I know his speed since I get it with my pc.
Emperor
Message 10 of 23
Message 10 of 23

@JorgeMoreno92

This is odd, I can't recreate this with my Z5P, not sure if you are up for it, but you could downgrade with flashtool/xperifirm to test it.