account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

WIFI drops connection on z5 premium.

One time poster
Message 111 of 193
Message 111 of 193

Re: WIFI drops connection on z5 premium.

I have same problem, followed all suggestions from support, did factory reset repair from Pc companion, still have same issue
Enthusiast
Message 112 of 193
Message 112 of 193

bump
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 113 of 193
Message 113 of 193

Well! To recap now after more then a year with X5 prem. I must say The phone in general works OK. 

I am dissapointed with the battery life, which was better on my Nexus 6 !?

AND the WiFi issue. OMG Sony! Granted it now works a bit better, ea. doesnt drop wifi all the time, and connects TO Wifi fairly quickly.

BUT! and its a big f-ing BUT. The connectivity and speed (quality) of the Wifi is catastrophical! SONY! my CHEAP 200$ extraphone (samsung) performs way better, My kids Iphones are 10 times faster on Wifi than my Sony.

So now when I am about to get a new phone... What am I going to choose? Doubt it will be Sony again?

Sony should have adressed this issue from day 1 and fixed the phones! I have many friends and collueges that now will leave Sony because of this particular reason.

/G

Message 114 of 193
Message 114 of 193

Try the items suggested in the following post:  LINK

Changing my router channel from 3 to 11 on the 2.4 GHz band seemed to be the key to reliable connectivity with my Z5 on WiFi.

Inhabitant
Message 115 of 193
Message 115 of 193

Well thanks!

This is not the main problem though. At home, the wifi mostly work, even with extremely low speed and unstable connection compared to other phones. The real problem are free wifis and public, and others outside home when the connection is reallay bad or non existant. 

I do expect much more from a 1000$ phone.

One time poster
Message 116 of 193
Message 116 of 193

I have the same problem with a recently purchased Z5 Dual. WiFi drops bery often. Sony must fix the error.
Adept
Message 117 of 193
Message 117 of 193

I have the normal Z5. Had huge problems with WiFi. Tried everything. Only thing that works is to ditch wpa-psk and change it to wep encryption.
Enthusiast
Message 118 of 193
Message 118 of 193

How do you do that?
Visitor
Message 119 of 193
Message 119 of 193

I also have had Wifi problems, but with me it differs from time to time.
I can go a full day without having any issues at all. There are days that I just have to toggle the Wifi off and on every hour or so, but today I massive problems with the speed which now seems to be resolved again.

I tried going into safe mode. That didn't change anything.
I toggled the legacy DHCP client but also nothing.

What did work for me was reset the network settings, connect to a 5ghz Wifi and then I left the phone alone for 10 minutes or so. My speedtest went from not loading to 104Mbps.

I have a feeling that (at least in my phone) something in the Wifi circuit gets hot or something after a couple of hours browsing but quickly cools down when I put my phone down.
Visitor
Message 120 of 193
Message 120 of 193

Forgot to mention my phone and specs. Normal Z5, E6653, I have the. 305 Android update of Marshmallow, I think it the Generic Philippines rom.

My problems have been on every firmware update, so I'm pretty sure that it's hardware and not software that's bugging out. Which is a shame as my previous Sony, the Z2 was and is an absolute reliable beast.