account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Update reduced battery life - brought back old issues.

Apprentice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Update reduced battery life - brought back old issues.

My Z5 compact was working fine - in fact, I loved it - several months ago. I did a long cycling trip in October where I could listen to 8 hours of podcasts via bluetooth in a day and still have 50% battery left. This is why I got this phone apart from the size. Since the update (possibly in December) I can listen for maybe 6 hours before the battery is at 3-10% and it runs much hotter than it did before. This is not safe as I need it in the case of emergencies also when I'm in the middle of no-where. It actually runs out more quickly generally as well; where as before I could go 2-4 days without recharging, I'm lucky if I don't have to charge it every night now. **bleep**?

The WiFi issue is also back where it will over-ride my mobile data when i'm in range of a WiFi network - even if I'm not trying to connect to it or have the password, or even KNOW THE NETWORK AT ALL. The fact that it's there forces me to disable WiFi if I need to be connected to the internet, and also to remember to turn it back on when i'm back at home. This is a total PITA and should happen.

Whe does Sony keep releasing updates which ruin otherwise decent, working products? This is no-where near the first time this has happened.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Update reduced battery life - brought back old issues.

@bludger

This might be due to the "aging" of your operating system, just like when a Windows PC gets slower with time. I'd suggest that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will do a clean installation of the latest firmware and will also wipe your internal memory. Don't forget to backup using Xperia Companion, but preferably without adding apps or settings to the backup.

Follow the steps given in blue links, and keep us updated.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, but...well...the repair too still doesn't work (continuously-laughable "network error" problem, which still hasn't been fixed) and so i'm left with the option of a factory reset, which is as much of a PITA as the issues are and doesn't guarantee anything either.

This is my 4th Sony phone and I'm getting sick of problems which never get resolved or are 'resurrected' via updates.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Well i can say u one thing!!  Just backup ur data and get back to ur  previous working version that u hv described in ur post!!  I can understand ur agony - but this is the way that battery gets aged !! U may not get the experience u hv experienced in October!! But it can be better than now!! I managed to get 5.5 hrs of sot with nougat and 6.3 with MM on my 18 months old device!! 

And ur WiFi issue can be resolved by toggling "aggressive WiFi to cellular handover" under dev options! 

Apprentice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions - i'll look into reverting my update & developer options. But, this is not a battery issue at all. Sure batteries reduce in capacity and longevity over time, but mine reduced it's capacity to work OVERNIGHT by over 50%. This has nothing to do with the battery and is clearly related to the update which 'coincidently' happened at this exact moment.

I'm getting sick of Sony blaming everything but itself for issues and never fixing anything properly. A great example is the z3 compact which had thousands of people complaining about self-cracking screens (both the front and rear glass on mine did that - while it was sitting on a table untouched - in the space of a month. Sony took no responsibility whatsoever and it ended up costing me hundreds having to sort it myself).

Last chance Sony - the ONLY reason you've still go me as a customer is you have a small 'flagship' phone and no-one else creates a good one. It's a tenuous relationship.