account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Unable to transfer files to/from USB device after update to 6.0

SOLVED
Message 21 of 95
Message 21 of 95

Re: Unable to transfer files to/from USB device after update to 6.0

I downloaded the same app as acis610 and still can't use the USB drive. It just says usb otg no longer supported. Wish I'd stuck with the HTC one m9.
One time poster
Message 22 of 95
Message 22 of 95

Is there any solution to this issue as I am also unable to play any music and video files from USB which used to work perfectly before this MM update
Message 23 of 95
Message 23 of 95

No i have not found a solution, officially google's stance is that 3rd party apps cannot access USB otg devices..guess we are waiting for an update then.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 24 of 95
Message 24 of 95

3:rd party apps can still access files on a USB drive but with Android 6.0, they need to go through the Storage Access Framework in Android. There may be apps that have not been updated to support Android 6.0 yet but if i test for example ES File Explorer, i can access the files on a connected USB drive.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 25 of 95
Message 25 of 95

I downloaded ES file explorer pro last night (for £2.99) and it does not work, it shows me the USB device but will not allow me to use it. It shows an error saying USB OTG not supported for exfat devices.  the drive is a 64gb usb 3.0 Dual sandisk flash stick. Do you think swapping to a 32gb Fat32 formatted device may work ?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 26 of 95
Message 26 of 95

I tried it here and as you say, seems like ES File Explorer doesn't support exFAT. The same drive works in this app when i format it with FAT32 though.

But i was able to access files on the USB-drive (when formatted with exFAT) using Solid Exlorer File Manager.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 27 of 95
Message 27 of 95

I've downloaded that app now, i'll give it a shot when i get home.

Regular
Message 28 of 95
Message 28 of 95

Updated my Z5 premium to 6.0 this morning. USB and SD storage are no long work with file commander any more. In commander home page it does not show up those 2 storages even usb connected by clicking usb detector. I use this app to transfer photos from messenger to USB everyday for my business. I have to stop it now. Tried whole day in different ways but failed. Even tried to install the other file managers, failed. Need big help please.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 29 of 95
Message 29 of 95

What about the built in file manager of Android 6?
It is located here: Settings/Device/Storage

Otherwise, my favorite one is Total Commander:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander
Regular
Message 30 of 95
Message 30 of 95

Thanks for your information. Downloaded the total commander. It dosen't show USB divice either. I need copy the pictures people sent me, paste them to the USB and print them. It seems the USB doesn't work with any of the file manager apps after update to 6. Couldn't find built in file manager from setting-divice-storage.