account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Turning off Voicemail

Visitor
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Turning off Voicemail

I am hearing impaired.  I can't find out how to make the phone refuse to try to record a voicemail message, despite voicemail being unset.  What I need is to ensute that no-one actually tries to record a voicemail message and instead texts me.

I had this set up on a previous phone (not a Sony) and can't understand why this is not an ordinary feature on my Xperia phone.  People tend to drop their voices while recording meaning that I can very seldom work out what the voicemail message is.

If I miss a call and the caller thinks I have a voicemail message, then I may have missed something vital, especially as my wife died suddenly 3 weeks ago and I am trying to deal with this under conditions of great stress.

12 REPLIES 12
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Turning off Voicemail

Hi @DavidWalland, welcome to our forum!

There is 2 different voice mails, one that is inbuilt in your phone that is called Xperia answering machine and another voice mail that is handled by your operator.

Do note that the Xperia answering machine is not featured in all markets, so I'd recommend that you go to Settings > Call > Xperia answering machine and turn this feature off (if available).

If those who call you end up at your operators voice mail you will need to contact them and ask them to disable your voice mail.

Let me know if that helps!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for answering.  The Sony Xperia Voicemail page has only 4 headings;

Voicemail service provider

Voicemail settings (only allows phone number for voicemail provider)

Notification Sound

Vibrate

I haven't yet got over to Tescos to try to sort it from their end.  My wife of 32 years died very suddenly without warning a month age, and I am still deeply in shock.

Why doesn't the phone simply allow me to turn voicemail Off with a message so that people don't try to leave messages?

I'm not the only hearing impaired person in the world who can't use it!

Not very satisfactory!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

Hi again @DavidWalland, sorry to hear about your wife. Slightly frowning Face

Do you know which voicemail that the people calling you is directed to? Based on what you can see in the Settings menu of your phone the only options for the voicemail is related to your service provider (operator) and you will need to get in touch with them to turn this feature off.

You can turn off the Xperia answering machine in the phone, however the service providers voicemail can not be customized directly from the settings menu of your phone.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

I had already done this.  This doesn't allow me to leave a message asking callers to either call again or to text me.

There are a lot of hearing impaired people like me out in the real world.  My old mobile phone allowed me to do what I need and want and it is a telling inditement of Sony the in a world supposedly working on being more impairment friendly, they do not make this easy!

I already, simply to use my mobile as a mobile, have to use a portable hearing aid loop - £24.99 on e-bay -.  Why not make things *MORE* flexible, not less flexible?  Life then becomes much easier for those of us on the periphery and we're a big enough percentage to count when selling mobile phones.  It simply makes no sense.

David Walland

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Hi again!

I would still like to know which voicemail is it that you want to customize, as I wrote in my previous post, the service providers voicemail can't be customized directly from the settings in the phone, this has to be done from the service providers end or if you can do it yourself while calling the voicemail.

If you want to record a greeting using the Xperia answering machine, go to Settings > Call > Xperia Answering Machine > Greetings and tap "Record new greeting" and follow the on-screen instructions.

That way you can tell those who call you to not leave a message on your voicemail and instead call you again or send a text message. I'm afraid that there is no setting to completely turn off the function that those who call aren't able to leave a message on your voicemail. I will however forward this internally as user feedback since I understand that this is very important you to and most likely a lot of other users as well, so thank you for bringing this up.

Visitor
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Hot to enable voice answering machine in sony xperia Z5 premium dual. 

Please answer me 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

Hi @Alias795, welcome to our forum!

If your device supports the inbuilt voicemail server, you can enable this in Settings > Calls > Xperia answering machine.

If it is not available here, you can contact your operator and ask them if they can enable the voicemail service for you!

Let me know if that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Yes I got it. Thank you.  But I have a question about automatically why it's come and asked for voice mail on my home screen? 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Hi again @Alias795!

You're welcome!

I'm not quite sure that I understand your second question, is it possible for you to get back to me with a screenshot of this? To take a screenshot, press the power button and tap on "Take screenshot".

Thanks in advance! Slightly smiling Face