account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Silent mode - how to activate / deactivate?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Talent
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Silent mode - how to activate / deactivate?

This seems like an obvious question, but under 'silent mode' in the settings I cannot see anything that simply says 'on' or 'off' - there are complicated settings for 'exceptions', & for setting times for silent mode to come on; but I just want a quick & simple way of switching it off and on!

It seems to be on in any case, as I have the ringer volume set quite high but the phone does not ring - it doesn't even vibrate which is reaslly annoying as I am missing calls.

Can anyone explain how to switch silent mode on & off please, and explain why the phone is not ringing even if the volume is turned up high? Normally when you do this it should overrride silent mode  even if it is switched on.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Commissioner
Message 13 of 16
Message 13 of 16

Re: Silent mode - how to activate / deactivate?

Not, if u simply UPDATE

But, in this case with a major upgrade system, it's fully adviced to do a CLEAN UPDATE so everything should be fine at following Winking Face

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Commissioner
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Are u on 6.0 ?
Talent
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

No; 5.1.1. Should I upgrade to 6? I haven't had any messages telling me to...

Commissioner
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

On 6, with this Sony u can switch simply ON-OFF for silent mode Slightly smiling Face
Talent
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

OK, thanks; I will try to upgrade in that case. There is nothing as simple as that in my phone! 

Talent
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

Sorry @Robertods88 - how do I upgrade the android version if I have not received any message asking me to do so? Do I need to connect it to my computer? I thought it would simply install the update automatically when I'm connected to WiFi?

Thanks

Commissioner
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

No more simple than this

Connect your Z5 to your PC

Then open PC Companion or Xperia Companion and see what happens, ok ?

I advice you to perform a full reset !

In this case you can skip your update, if is it proposed to you, and go through Software Repair and in that case, it will repair and update your Z5 and u can start with a full Z5 Slightly smiling Face
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

@AliWonder Silent mode is different in 5.1.1 but this has been answered before so many times:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3/Silent-mode-on-5-1-1/td-p/1016130/page/2

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Thanks @Alexdon - I found the answer eventually - Sony don't like to make things very easy or obvious sometimes! :-)

Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

Actually it's google who changed this. You can't have silent (no sound) but still have all notifications come through.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.