account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen turns black when plugging earphones in

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Screen turns black when plugging earphones in

Hello. As stated in the subject of this topic, the problem that I've been having for a few months now with my Xperia Z5 Compact is that whenever I would plug my earphones in, the screen turns black when I plug in my earphones, or even just apply pressure to the edge, say, inadvertedly, while holding it in landscape mode.

It doesn't go out completely, it still has backlight, it responds to the touch, like, for instance, I can still turn on the flashlight, cause I know where it is and how to get to it, it's just all black. Sometimes, when I press the unlock button, to turn on the screen, it gets bright for a second, usually just white, and it slowly fades away in columns of RGB pixels. To get the picture back, I would then lightly twist the phone, or gently tap it against my palm, and it would work normally again.

Lately, the problem has been getting worse, namely, it started doing this just after sitting in my pocket for a while, and even more recently, when it simply gets cold, from the outside air.

Today it finally got bad enough that it won't get a picture at all. Warm, cold, doesn't matter. It's not broken, it's just not getting anything. And tapping and twisting doesn't work. Well, twisting kinda does, if I keep it under pressure while I press the unlock button, but as soon as I release it, it goes back out.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I've been combing google for it far and wide, trying to come up with relevant search quotes without upsetting the Hivemind with too many word, with no luck. From what I can tell, the fault might very well be mechanical, maybe one tiny screw from the motherboard might've gone loose. It's been a manageable annoyance so far, but now the phone is unusable.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Emperor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Screen turns black when plugging earphones in

@longbow

I'm sorry to hear about the issue but you should get it inspected by your Local support 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Reset and clear the data for smart connect, and also while testing, disable the sleep timer for the display, and screen lock, also disable power button ends call, so you can force the display to turn on, without locking or putting the device to sleep.

I noticed all these interlinked problems going from marshmallow to nougat because of security changes and call changes with do not disturb.

edit: I'd also like to point out that these problems were introduced by Google, not Sony, and is almost 100% soley Goggles fault. 

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Visitor
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

That still won't do anything. As soon as I let off the pressure, the screen goes black again, locked or not.