account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Screen goes black during call

Sony Xperia Support
Message 161 of 229
Message 161 of 229

Re: Proximity sensor

Hi @joe2616,

Do you have a screen protector and/or a case on your phone?

These can often interfere with the proximity sensor if they are covering it in any way, causing it to always be active.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 162 of 229
Message 162 of 229

Sony Xperia 5 screen goes black when making a call

Hi I have been having trouble with my Sony Xperia 5 mobile when I make a call the screen goes black and I can't do anything I can't end the call or turn it off. I had this trouble when I first got it and went back to the Telstra shop I got it from they then toke the screen protector off it that it came with and it stop but has started again any ideas why it is doing it and what I can do
One time poster
Message 163 of 229
Message 163 of 229

Re: Screen goes black during call

Yip, I have exactly the same problem. Good grief, the phone was working 100% fine. Do the update to 7.0, and bam, issues, making or receiving a call, screen goes blank and I have to hard boot the phone. Plus, now all of a sudden my Next Launcher is giving issues when clearing the memory which it never did. WHY fix something that is not broken? Ugh I feel like crying really.
One time poster
Message 164 of 229
Message 164 of 229

Nougat has totally ruined my Z5

so dissapointed with Nougat.   Every time i make a call the screen goes blank and even when the call finishes i have to push the power button many times to get any response.  Why are these   updates allways a problem.   Very diassapointed.  HELP 

Apprentice
Message 165 of 229
Message 165 of 229

Z5 Sony proximity sensor.

So I got the famous black screen when calling fun. I can see it's probably a slightly wonkey sensor. And I'm wondering how easy is it to realign it? Is the sensor on the motherboard or is it separate? Thanks.
Genius
Message 166 of 229
Message 166 of 229

Re: Z5 Sony proximity sensor.

Hi @Sewkneez5, did it work previously with no problem....few threads existing on this subject which i'm sure you have looked thru...have you looked at/tried some of the things mentioned as a possible fix Thinking Face

Apprentice
Message 167 of 229
Message 167 of 229

Well the person who sold it says it was working. And well no restore didn't work and it becomes more obvious when I learnt on a YouTube video the 'corner squeeze' so when it's black you squeeze the corner nearest it and it works again! Pointing to a problem with the distance of the sensor to the front glass I guess. Or less likely dirt. Anyway I suppose the point is I'm going to have to realign it physically. I've done a bit of work on iPhones but not Sonys...I've had two Sony phones a z1 that had almost the same problem but with a screen protector and this...I was a bit shocked that 4 generations later it's still here Face with open Mouth !

So is the sensor separate... easy to accesses? Oh and can I make it waterproof after? Thanks.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 168 of 229
Message 168 of 229

Depends how much integrity you want. You'll need a dust free environment and the correct adhesive and a heat gun to seal it as good as Sony would QA from the factory.

If water"proof" is not really a problem... the crude method is a hairdryer... blutack and superglue home-made-polymer-concoction cement. I'm totally pro at backyard jobs... You can do it yourself too!

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/HwZk0Ix.jpg

TH1

TH

5 hours in to my laptops Warranty period, I took out the hard drives and optical drive, and was hanging the OEM SSD out by a cable out through the open optical bay waiting for my gear to arrive... I needed room.... so an angle grinder bit on a dremel did the job...

It would've been cleaner if I didn't shear the pentalobe screws holding the Samsung Pro together, so I had to use the SanDisk base that I angle grinded while waiting for the faster SSD

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Apprentice
Message 169 of 229
Message 169 of 229

Re: Screen goes black during call

Well the adhesive is cheap just not sure if you need higher temperatures...
Apprentice
Message 170 of 229
Message 170 of 229

Screen goes blank after dialing number...

After Update Android 7 sometimes when I dial any number to make a call the screen goes blank then comes back to the dial menu. I can't make any call. When someone call me back then I can call or I have to restart the mobile to make a call. Not all the times but sometimes.
Its a worst Android update I got....plz Sony fixed it. I have done reset...it's same.