account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Screen goes black during call

Emperor
Message 141 of 229
Message 141 of 229

Re: Proximity sensor failure

@cassiano28

Could you clarify a few things?

Does the proximity sensor pass the test every time? 

if not? does it pass the test when you remove the case and/or film? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 142 of 229
Message 142 of 229

Still hate this 4K smartphone.

I'm about to send this handset to the phone recycling companies. It's only 8 mths old and completely doing my head in. Battery life is worst I have had from any smartphone. The device slashes and locks up when using the camera and when this happens the last image is lost.
The handset gets not just warm but hot in use. I don't have any screen protectors on the handset. Seriously thinking of rolling back to my totally reliable Nokia 1320 windows phone that had a huge battery life but limited apps.
Apprentice
Message 143 of 229
Message 143 of 229

Re: Still hate this 4K smartphone.

Forgot to mention this is a Z5
Forum Legend
Message 144 of 229
Message 144 of 229

Re: Still hate this 4K smartphone.

if you are experiencing a lot of problems I suggest you try to perform software repair using Xperia Companion

or better yet send your device to your local service center for repairs Local support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Apprentice
Message 145 of 229
Message 145 of 229

Screen goes black and stops working when making calls

Every time I make a call, a few seconds later the screen goes black and I can't control the phone. I can hear and talk and change the volume on the side of the phone. The power button does not function and as I say the screen is black and I can't use it. To end the call I have to hold power button in as well as the volume up button.

I have tried restarting phone.
Visitor
Message 146 of 229
Message 146 of 229

Re: Screen goes black and stops working when making calls

Yes! I'm having the EXACT same probem. so frustrating, i can't control the phone at all during a call which makes it extremely difficult when phoning somewhere that requires a choice to be made i.e. the doctors! 

So far my solution to end the call is to remove the sim card, haven't tried your trick of both power key and volume key though.

Here's hoping we can find a solution as it's incredibly debilitating when one doesn't have a land line!

Apprentice
Message 147 of 229
Message 147 of 229

Hi, I've fixed mine (hopefully works for you too, but may not). I don't have a screen protector on, as others have reported. But I cleaned the screen with water and dried it. I also was in a dark room with no lights previously. One of those two things was causing the problem.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 148 of 229
Message 148 of 229

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry to hear about that, must be very annoying having to restart the phone to end a call. Slightly frowning Face

@Twinkle55, I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve it and thank you for telling us how you resolved it! Slightly smiling Face

@TizzyTaz, Is this something that has started to occur recently, for example if you have updated your phone or installed a new application?

There is a sensor called proximity sensor that is placed right next to the Sony logo on the top part of your screen that will turn off the screen when it's covered by for example, your ear when making a call or answering a call.

When you take the phone down from your ear it will turn on the screen again, so you can end the call or if you need to check something in your phone during the call.

I would recommend starting with performing the test of this sensor in the inbuilt Diagnostics test. The test is located in Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Ear proximity. Is the phone vibratiting directly when the test is started, or does it only vibrate when the sensor is covered?

If it's vibrating when the test is started, is there a screen protector or a case on the phone that is covering the proximity sensor? If there is, try removing it and either place a call or do the test in diagnostics again.

There may also be some dust or similiar on the sensor, try cleaning it with a soft cloth.

If it's only vibrating when the sensor is covered, I would recommend restarting the phone in safe mode, to make sure that a third party application isn't the cause. While in safe mode, make a call or perform the test again.

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 149 of 229
Message 149 of 229

Hi, thanks for a prompt reply!

Yes started happening 5 days ago, seemingly out of the blue. Have removed screen protector and case and have attempted to clean the screen with a cloth, nothing is working.

I have run the diagnostics test for ear proximity and it vibrates instantly, does not wait for the sensor to be covered. I have repeated the process in safe mode also.

Looks like it's being sent to Sony for a repair, hopefully it's a prompt service as I go away early February!

Yag
Rookie
Message 150 of 229
Message 150 of 229

I have the exact same problem. 

-> Phone is entirely black during a call.

This is a MAJOR problem

- no way to dial numbers into a voice server, no way to look at your email or note a telephone number into a contact while you're on a call.

- The only thing you can do is (before a call) to set the power button to end the call, so that at least you're not waiting for the other side to hang up.  (Note: some voice servers NEVER HANG UP- I had to force shutdown the telephone to get out of that call.) 

Yes, there is a problem with the proximity sensor, I have tried without screen protector and with clean screen. In every case the proximity sensor is vibrating instantly in the diagnostic.

I have already taken my Z5 twice for repair. Each time it was repaired (thanks Sony), but it came back with a feature missing (no more waterproof after the first repair, and then proximity sensor problem after the second repair). So I will NOT take it for a repair a third time.

SONY, please give us a way to disable permanently the proximity sensor, it's all I need. I don't need this proximity thing, I always use headphones.