account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black during call

Learner
Message 211 of 229
Message 211 of 229

Sony z5 Screen goes black during call

This really annoying me now. Thinking getting new mobile and won't be a Sony ever again.during calls goes black. No screen protector or case.i did send it back get repaired guess what received it back still doing same thing. Obviously there's a fault as so many boards with same problem and Sony just fob you off. Used to rate Sony in past but not any more. Don't buy if got one not thrown it at wall be a miracle. 

Enthusiast
Message 212 of 229
Message 212 of 229

Re: Sony z5 Screen goes black during call

Just go to your local support which are subject to country regulations I'm sure there is a few people on here which are really sponsored computer generated robots with the useless advice offered it's got to make you laugh the absurdity of this forum if you don't you cry.  My Z5 will be getting fixed at a fraction of the price quoted then sold on eBay still under warranty lol until December someone else's problem then.

Learner
Message 213 of 229
Message 213 of 229

Re: Sony z5 Screen goes black during call

Hey guys,

I also had this issue with the black screen and it made me mad. It appeared around 3 months after the upgrade to Android 7. I couldn't do anything during a call and had to wait until caller terminated the call.

Anyway, the solution that helped me further was this: during black screen, just press multiple times and very fast the power button and by the time the screen gets lighten up, just hold the phone upright, so the screen won't turn black again.

After that, turn off the phone and let it rest for a few minutes. As soon as it cools down, turn it on again and it should work without issues.

If you have any heavy or non-responding apps, then a delete would help further. 

Rookie
Message 214 of 229
Message 214 of 229

Z5 Proximity Sensor

I am ready to throw my Z5 in the bin. I find it incredibly frustrating that calls cannot be ended because the phone thinks that my ear is always against the sensor when making a call. Funny how this does not happen when listening to voice notes on WhatsApp. In the case of WhatsApp, the phone knows when to use the loudspeaker or earpiece. Dodgy software on your part, Sony?

Sony, this is/was a flagship device. If we don't get a fix or an answer for this, I will make sure that I tell everyone I know to not go NEAR a Sony device. One pays huge $$$ for a flagship Sony, only to be forgotten and left to fight an endless array of bugs. Disgusting.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 215 of 229
Message 215 of 229

Re: Z5 Proximity Sensor

Hi @C-man, welcome to the community.

Most of the time the issue you have described is caused by screen protectors and/or cases interfering with the Ear Proximity Sensor, which detects when your phone is against your ear and turns off the screen.

Can you please confirm if you have a screen protector or case on your phone, and if so, remove them and test it again?

You can also test the Ear Proximity Sensor in Settings > About Phone > Diagnostics > Test > Ear Proximity Sensor.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 216 of 229
Message 216 of 229

Hi Cameron

Yes, I do use a cover and screen protector.

However,

1. I have tried removing the phone cover and the problem persists

2. I have used the screen protector that was supplied by Sony in the sealed box for the Z5. Are you saying that Sony's own screen protector causes this problem? Please confirm before I remove it and need to pay for a new one.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 217 of 229
Message 217 of 229

@C-man,

It is not the screen protector itself, but more the positioning. If it is covering the proximity sensor that could be the issue.

However, as you have stated that it is still happening even without a screen protector it would indicate the issue is something else.

To rule out any software issues, I recommend starting your phone in safe mode. If it is doing the same, run a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Failing all that, contact your Local support team.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 218 of 229
Message 218 of 229

This problem occur after update to 7.0 (build no. 32.3.A.2.33)

After finished phone, the display go black, have to wait few second then until line ended. Then can turn on display again by push Power button.

The case is really upset me when in a rush,

I do hard reset once, after first update to solve Bluetooth issue. (Build no. 32.3.A.o.376)

This time will try again hard reset to solve Ear proximity sensor, if problem not solve. Will say goodbye to sony forever.

Learner
Message 219 of 229
Message 219 of 229

Cant pickup call as incoming call screen is black

Having this problem recently like in last few weeks. Whenever someone calls me, my screen is black, it doesnt show the buttons like answer or decline. Though all i can do is unlock the screen and then drag down the notification bar down, where i have a option of answer or decline.

Can anyone help me out, i guess its some settings change like in the incall UI but dont know where to find it. 

I tried sony chat support and they suggested resetting the phone which sounded stupid, There must be some other alternative. Help would be apprectiated.

Learner
Message 220 of 229
Message 220 of 229

Re: Cant pickup call as incoming call screen is black

no one had this problem for not able to see who's calling ? Any sony experts here ?