account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black during call

One time poster
Message 31 of 229
Message 31 of 229

Re: Screen goes black during call

Done all of this and even restored software and still having same problem?

One time poster
Message 32 of 229
Message 32 of 229

Xperia Z5 Black screen.

Brand new Z5. 3 weeks out of the box. No screen protector. Latest software. During calls, screen goes black, and you can't get it back no matter what buttons you press. Call continues until other end hangs up. Have seen so many people complaining about this issue on previous models. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 33 of 229
Message 33 of 229

Re: Xperia Z5 Black screen.

Hi Brocky77,

Welcome to the community,

In most cases this is caused by the proximity sensor and it being covered. Do you have a screen protector that you have added to the device or maybe a case, if the proximity sensor has anything to close to the sensor it will turn the screen black as it thinks it is an ear.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Forum Legend
Message 34 of 229
Message 34 of 229

Re: Xperia Z5 Black screen.

does the problem exist when you are in safe mode? https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/td-p/34800

can you run the diagnostics to see if the proximity sensor is working? http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiae4dual/userguide/Running-diagnostic-tests/

have you tried repairing with PCC? http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/

if still the problem persist: i suggest to have your phone checked at your local service center: http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
One time poster
Message 35 of 229
Message 35 of 229

Ear proximity sensor

I have Xperia Z5 and facing issues with the ear proximity sensor everything I place a call the screen goes black and won't turn on unless the call is over (imagine if the other end happens to be a wrong person or prankster friend.. Not funny). BTW I tried everything one could do I.e press on the sensor location, press the power button but nothing seems to work!
Also this is my second Xperia phone and I faced the same issue with my previous one since the time they were new so don't even dare and tell me misuse! In my opinion it is a very obvious quality problem.
What should I do?!

Side note: I had to fake a conversation the other day with my boss when mistakingly phoned him!! It wasn't pretty
Sony Xperia Support
Message 36 of 229
Message 36 of 229

Re: Ear proximity sensor

@Ammukhtar I'm very sorry to hear that. I suggest that you try what Hampus suggested above. If that doesn't help then I'm afraid that your phone is in need of service. Please contact your Local support team for information on how to proceed if it comes to that.

@Jess4 Sorry for the late reply. If none of the previous suggestions solved this for you then your phone should get sent to one of our authorised service centers. Your Local support team can provide more information on how to do so.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 37 of 229
Message 37 of 229

I am having the same issue. No protector on screen and ear test comea back fine.

After previous system update this appeared to be fixed however recent update problem started again.

Huge design fault... Very frustrating to not be able to hang up a call.

Sony please please look into this and correct.
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 38 of 229
Message 38 of 229

My girlfrien's Z5 also does it and it doesn't have any screen protector on. Had to activate the "Power button ends call" feature to enable her to end calls because the screen remains black. My Z5P doesn't suffer from this, though.
Inhabitant
Message 39 of 229
Message 39 of 229

Hello, I have the same problem with my z5p, I have a glass protector on the screen and the sensor worked fine until dust and other stuff got on the sensor, after cleaning it an doing a proximity test all seems fine.
Learner
Message 40 of 229
Message 40 of 229

Hi Folks, I was having the exact same issue with my Z5 Premium, screen turned black the second you made a call and wouldn't come back on again. If it helps anyone, I found a way to make the screen come back on, just by chance. I inserted a headphone plug into the headphone socket and the screen came on within seconds. I know this isn't a fix, but hopefully may help someone. After reading all posts here though, I did remove the protective cover from my Z5 Premium to find that the sensor was indeed covered in dust. I cleaned it off, pit the cover back on and it now appears to be working fine. So thank you all who suggested this....but possibly coincidentally, I too only noticed this issue after latest software update to Marshmallow. Many thanks, Stephen