account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card as internal storage removed from Marshmallow

Commissioner
Message 1 of 72
Message 1 of 72

SD card as internal storage removed from Marshmallow

Why did you remove new feature of Marshmallow android to format SD card as internal storage?

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
71 REPLIES
Message 2 of 72
Message 2 of 72

Re: SD card as internal storage removed from Marshmallow

@mrnino

Other manufacturers like Samsung and LG had it removed too, for technical reasons. I guess app developers are not ready with this change 100%.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 72
Message 3 of 72

it's easy undo something then do something properly. besides of lots of bugs of sony's version of marshmallow :/

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 72
Message 4 of 72

The information i have is that it was removed because it impacted software encoding and quality.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 5 of 72
Message 5 of 72

And what about all issues uccure and posted here?

Apprentice
Message 6 of 72
Message 6 of 72

as far as I can tell it works perfectly on my Nvidia shield. Why can't sony make it work?

Commissioner
Message 7 of 72
Message 7 of 72

I think that this is a good choice

SD Card as internal was studied for low-mid range phone with low storage inside and not for our top range phone !!!

It's better as it has been choiced, because there could be some situations like users who are usually to get their slowish class2 microsd as internal and then they come here to report back a lot of bugs for slowing phone and similia ...

There isn't SD card as fast as stable as our inside memory wink
Apprentice
Message 8 of 72
Message 8 of 72

Robertods88 wrote:
I think that this is a good choice

SD Card as internal was studied for low-mid range phone with low storage inside and not for our top range phone !!!

It's better as it has been choiced, because there could be some situations like users who are usually to get their slowish class2 microsd as internal and then they come here to report back a lot of bugs for slowing phone and similia ...

There isn't SD card as fast as stable as our inside memory wink

It would have been ok if sony didn't use sdcard1 as the external SD Card.  Most apps including the OS are using SDCard0 when installing/downloading to a SD Card.

That makes the SD Card useless for many apps and all the extra data is stored on the internal memory instead.

So if Sony had done things correctly from the start this wouldn't be an issue.

Commissioner
Message 9 of 72
Message 9 of 72

As I told you before, because of some users using their slowish microsd by 2 or 4 class used for apps and something like that, in Sony had to face these ones who did a bad usage of their phone because and had some problems so they addressed, finally, this behaviour not giving possibility and they did well !

They simply addressed the behaviour, difact

Rickard told clearly :

"it was removed because it impacted software encoding and quality"

So it seems clear to all of us that it's better like that with new software

With KITKAT u could do other things

Now, u can't do it simply !
Talent
Message 10 of 72
Message 10 of 72

My assumption is that our internal SD card reader is not fast enough.

I have a Samsung Pro+ SD that can write up to 90MB/s but in Z5C can't pass 27-30MB/s 

Considering this, it's better to disable this feature for the sake of the performance and also because people doesn't know about this.

A few times I moved "Hearthstone" from Internal Memory to Samsung Pro+ (Lollipop, not MM) and it performed much worse than Internal Memory. The bottleneck is in the card reader, internal memory is much faster for apps, no matter how expensive and modern is your extSD!

Offtopic: For instance, a few days ago in Paris I enabled stamina mode one day ( I never used it so I'm not used to it ) because my phone was at less than 20% battery. Then, I totally forgot about stamina mode and next day I recorded many videos (1080p @ 60fps) with some stuttering. Then I realized that the "+" near the battery icon was the stamina mode still activated and that was the cause of this performance issue.