account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

SD card as internal storage removed from Marshmallow

Enthusiast
Message 41 of 73
Message 41 of 73

Re: SD card as internal storage removed from Marshmallow

i just used HTC 10 with my 200gb d card from sandisk omg the phone is super smooth sony is lying that the feature will slow the phone down sony please dont lie to us your customers its just an OPTION users can chose what they want internal and external 

Demigod
Message 42 of 73
Message 42 of 73

@aboodmushtary wrote:

i just used HTC 10 with my 200gb d card from sandisk omg the phone is super smooth sony is lying that the feature will slow the phone down sony please dont lie to us your customers its just an OPTION users can chose what they want internal and external 

Where is the satement mentioning about slowing down the phone? i dont recall if i saw any of this statement anywhere.

Btw, as @viridis mentioned. Not only sony infact some other cell phone manufacture has decide the same too.

Again, gentle reminder. I believe Sony will be more than happy to hear your feedback by contacting the right channel.

As for here, is a community base support forum.

Enthusiast
Message 43 of 73
Message 43 of 73

sony employee Rickard said that sonys statement was it was slowing down the os so thats why they removed the feature and ONLY SAMSUNG AND LG did not gave adoptive storage option HTC gave it to ALL MARSHMALLOW phone that feature and many small and normal brands and they work flawless if u use ultra sandisk sd card which is cheaper now 

my testing with infinix android one phone and htc a9 and htc 10 with that feature DID NOT slowed the phone down no crashes just works normal smooth experiences 

removing this feature makes no sense because like i said before its just an OPTION consumers can choose what they want to use sd card as internal or external 

also i believe sony is watching this form too so lets see what will they do CameronT Jake-SonyXperiaSupport are few of them 

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 44 of 73
Message 44 of 73

Well as you have even highlighted samsung and lg and of cause sony aswell, whichis not something that is only being done by a single brand. All the brand you have mentioned are the giants and they choose not to include, i do believe there could be some other reason that all these manufacturer chooses not to do it.

As for mid or low range device, it does make sense to include them because the internal storage is extremely low and some devices is only 8gb with the OS almost take 50% of the internal storage. So if they dont include that feature those phone are pretty much unusable specially with the app size are getting so huge now days.

for higher grade devices atlease or a minimum of 20gb ++ user accessable and you could still install quite a number of apps games and etc before it even go full.

Besides that, there is also antoher problem that users may encounter. More items stored with merge storage and if one day that sd card fails to work, most likely your OS or your important apps and even all data will be lost forever.

Final conclusion for myself, i prefer standalone storage just like a different hdd on my pc to avoid the losing data if the primary hdd fails to work one day.

Enthusiast
Message 45 of 73
Message 45 of 73

ill be honest with you whats wrong with you adoptive storage is not recommended feature if its included any user is asked to make sd card INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL its just an OPTION removing the feature make no sense 

also taking about sd card breaking i have sd card from sandisk ultra for 4 years till now it works because it has lifetime warranty so solution for memory card dying buy a good trusted company card 

One time poster
Message 46 of 73
Message 46 of 73

I just wrecked a lot of stuff on my phone because I expected adaptive storage to work ... I was a kind of tired of all these messages about my storage all the time. Finally it looked like a way presented itself with this function to have a work-around. Unfortunately Sony disabled this. Would be nice to have the choice at least.

Genius
Message 47 of 73
Message 47 of 73

Ok, look, the story is not that easy to understand. SD card are not designed to work like if they are SSD, you can't use an SD to run applications for lot of reasons: not all the SD are fast, SD usage can degrade them and if the SD fail, say good bye to everything and start planning a factory reset or software repair. The phone break? You can't recover data from the SD, you'll have to format it.

Still sure you want that feature?

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
One time poster
Message 48 of 73
Message 48 of 73

What on Earth are you people on about. My Zperia Z2 on 6.0.1 allows me to move specific apps to and from my SD card without a third party app or even a fuss. Did you guys honestly get your pitchforks out just because they changed where the option lies? Do ye have a boy look? Go back and have proper look and ye will find what ye seek ^^!

Oh you guys (adorable!)…

Enthusiast
Message 49 of 73
Message 49 of 73

PinothyJ: You obviously have no idea what they are talking about so please edukate yourself first Slightly smiling Face

Message 50 of 73
Message 50 of 73

"so please edukate yourself first"
Forum gold right there..

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.