account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Play video stutter

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Play video stutter

After recent update to build 32.4.A.1.54, my downloaded videos from Google Play do not play smoothly. While trying to watch them in the default GooglePlay video app they stutter once or twice every second.

The videos I'm trying to watch are purchased from the Play.com site in HD, downloaded to my phone for storage and watching later.

I believe the update is responsible, as I watched a video, then stupidly allowed the update to install itself, then returned to the same video minutes after the update (after letting the phone cool down) and found it too stuttery to watch. Tried other downloaded films and TV shows all stutter, though notably, "Mr Robot" S3ep1 stutters the worst. 

Any advice? I think downgrading might be the best solution but I suspect that might prevent my banking apps working and it's going to be tough to find the time to do the downgrade.

Argh, this feels very much likely planned obsolescence on Sony's part....keen to get users to buy newer phones when their current older phones are more than capable of doing what their users need, if allowed to remain on a preferred firmware.

Any advice greatfully received! 

Cheers guys!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Play video stutter

The exact problem I had. Only solution was downgrading to Android 6.xx.
I tried nearly everything, only CPU video playback was working in Nougat.
Is Sony really pushing for planned obscolescence this way?

Downgrading was ok time-wise (10-15m for the flashing only, installing fast-boot drivers was the real pain here and of course getting right flash-image), only setting up apps took longer.
I can recommend it! Only Firmware updates got downloaded right away till I deativated them, on every boot I still get the popup though!

Me and my fried got X5 Premium when we travelled abroad and they were really expensive then.
Now one has a shattered display (fell from abou 30 cm to a bathroom tile and was immediately broken), mine got problems with automatic recognition of headset (do it manually now) and problems with noise suppression from the get-go.
I will extract as much service time out of the phones, even switching the battery from the broken one to mine if neccessary!
Sony's plan will fail!

Adept
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

@Chrisoutwright wrote:

The exact problem I had. Only solution was downgrading to Android 6.xx.
I tried nearly everything, only CPU video playback was working in Nougat.
Is Sony really pushing for planned obscolescence this way?

Downgrading was ok time-wise (10-15m for the flashing only, installing fast-boot drivers was the real pain here and of course getting right flash-image), only setting up apps took longer.
I can recommend it! Only Firmware updates got downloaded right away till I deativated them, on every boot I still get the popup though!

Me and my fried got X5 Premium when we travelled abroad and they were really expensive then.
Now one has a shattered display (fell from abou 30 cm to a bathroom tile and was immediately broken), mine got problems with automatic recognition of headset (do it manually now) and problems with noise suppression from the get-go.
I will extract as much service time out of the phones, even switching the battery from the broken one to mine if neccessary!
Sony's plan will fail!

Before you downgraded did you try a software repair or a factory reset? just curious? i have heard that when updating sometimes its best to perform these if your experiencing issues.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another" - Plato
Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@Johnster

Could you test the phone in >>> safe mode  and report back

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

I did the factory reset and repair via companion app to no avail sadly

Adept
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

@Chrisoutwright wrote:

I did the factory reset and repair via companion app to no avail sadly

You could try flashing back to 6.0.1 i always found that one the most stable. I believe Sony have a flashing tool called Emma I haven't used this one personally but you can find guides online. You will be flashing at your own risk so bear that in mind if it did go wrong. You could always send it off to your local repair center and see if they can replicate the issue you are having and might have a fix for you.

https://support.sonymobile.com/gb/repair/

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another" - Plato
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Anyone still having video playback stutter on Z4/5 series devices following the 32.4.A.1.54 update might find this post by Dave74 useful with an alternative complaint email address for Sony Uk

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z4-Tablet/Performance-issues-after-update-to-32-4-A-1-54/m-p/1...