account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone stuck at "Installing system update" screen

Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Phone stuck at "Installing system update" screen

Hi all,

I downloaded the software update and started installing it. However it's stuck on the "installing system update" screen with the shape still rotating in the android robot. Tried the power+volume reset but when I turn it on it goes straight back to trying to install and gets stuck at the same spot.

What do?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone stuck at "Installing system update" screen

I had the same problem with previous updates such as marshmallow, it did the same thing takes ages on the final step of the update , just be patient and it will install
Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

I have the same issue and i waited a whole day, and it dindin't work Slightly frowning Face

Learner
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

to precise, i turn it on, it shows the screen few seconds and it turn off

Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

@akoumoudjian

I'd suggest that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will do a clean installation of the latest firmware and will also wipe your internal memory. You need your phone charged and turned off before you start the process.

Follow the steps given in blue links, and keep us updated.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I aslo have this problem. I was using the Xperia Companion to tranfer data from my old Z1 to a brand new Z5 and the phone also started to perform a software update. After that it was stuck in the android "installing system update" loop. I have tried the Companion repair method you suggest which has not worked - it gets to the same install screen and hangs. So, now what?

Learner
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

.. cancel that query.

After two hous of wondering what went wrong, the android update decided to continue and then completed the update.

Whatever, I guess it pays to be patient and keep trying sometimes...

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

My XperiA XA1 Ultra 

is ALSO stuck & for the past three days. Still says "installing system update ". Now i am mad because this is a new phone with it's first software update. Is there something wrong with your software update or is there  something wrong with my phone?