account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone not charging, can't connect to PC companion

Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Phone not charging, can't connect to PC companion

Hi,
My Z5 Compact has stopped charging or connecting to USB.
It started when I didn't charge it overnight; it was down to 4% battery. I charged it for an hour on the original Sony charger, up to 60%. I plugged it in to the car charger afterwards but from then would no longer accept a charge. It did not recognize that it was plugged in. It has not worked normally on any charger since, connected to wall or laptop. The battery was completely drained then.
Now, when I plug it in, the red led comes on, and Sony screen comes on, then both go off. I've left it like this for a day and it does not charge. When I plug into the PC, it makes the connected noise, but then doesn't recognize anything after that.
I have tried holding power and volume up many times and it does reset, with the three vibrations. I have tried holding the off button by the sim for several minutes.
If I hold the volume up button when I plug into the wall, the blue led comes on, and the phone will charge, and I have gotten it to 100% like this. But sometimes the same technique drains the battery instead.
With battery, the phone turns on with no trouble, and everything else works.
I have tried the Xperia Companion software repair but when I hold the volume down, and connect to PC, the green light comes on, but nothing happens. The phone does get warm.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Genius
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone not charging, can't connect to PC companion

Hello and welcome to our forum @Mavicanuck,

Sorry to hear that.

I would recommend that you start your device without a SIM- or SD-card inserted into your device. Also if possible, use a Sony original charger and USB-cable specifically intended for your device. Other chargers may be too weak or too strong as they may have a different electric current rating (mA). 

If that doesn't work or didn't help then I'd suggest that you contact your Local support in order to have your device sent to an authorized service center.

Regarding backups, if you are not able to start the phone it will be difficult. If you can start the phone then a backup can be created using either Xperia Companion or by going to Settings > Backup and reset and create a backup to (for example) an SD-card.

Let me know how it goes. 

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi Didrik,

Thanks for the reply. Because I bought a phone on "gray-market" (built to be sold in another market than the one I'm in), Sony local support will not be providing me any assistance. I wanted to buy this phone but Sony did not have it in my market so my hand was forced. That means I'm on my own, so hopefully I can get a hand here.

I realize cables solves a lot of problems here, but I've tried several and am using the original cables now.

I'm convinced this is some kind of firmware/software problem.

The phone can be charged in fastboot mode (when the phone is plugged in while holding the volume down button), but when I connect to the pc in fastboot, it does not recogize the pc.

I am able to start the phone and everything works normally. I can do backups and anything else I might need. Only thing strange is it heats up incredibly fast, even when I'm not doing anything and the screen is off, and the battery drains very quickly.

I'd really like to try a software repair, but it cannot recognize the pc.

When I go into diagnostics in the phone settings and check on the usb charging, I get a strange result. It asks me to plug in the phone and see if the phone recognizes it. It does, but only for a couple seconds, then changes back to not seeing the charger. 

Is there a way to reset the phone to the factory settings? I understand the factory reset only really erases user data, and what I'd like to do is something like the software repair. Since I can't connect to USB, I want to reset to whatever image might be saved on there.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hello again,

The way you describe it makes it sound more and more related to hardware rather than software. If I had to take a guess I'd say that the USB-port of your phone is somehow damaged and in need of repairs, but I can't say for sure until a technician has examined your phone.

If your device is imported from another market or region, in my experience you should be able to have it sent for repairs in the market it was purchased from. Based on your username I'd guess your Canadian, yes? From how far away did you import your phone?

I understand this may cause a major inconvenience for you and I'm sorry for any trouble it may cause, but in order to repair your phone at an authorized service centre there are not many other options I'm afraid.

But there are however a few more things you can try first.

First of all, trying a different computer is a good first step. As is trying other cables and USB-ports.

Other than that you can also try, as you mention yourself, a factory reset. This option is found under Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset > Reset phone.

Make sure that you remove your Google account from your device prior to resetting it to avoid Google Device protection to trigger, the account can be removed under Settings > Accounts & sync > Google > Tap the three dots > Remove account.

Keep me updated!

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi Didrik,

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate the help.

I am Canadian, and bought the phone here from a store that sells imported phones. I've received no help from the store, despite selling me a phone that died a few months after purchase.

The phone was imported from Hong Kong, and I've contacted the Sony support there. They told me they don't accept any phones that do not have a mailing address in main land china.

Sony Canada has told me they cannot accept the phone either.

I've taken the phone to a phone repair shop. They could only tell me that there is no water damage, no physical damage and that the main board is probably "fried".

I have done the factory reset now and that has not changed anything.

I'm back to using my last Xperia which is broken but functioning for now.

I'm out of options now, and will be buying a new phone. I'm someone who is frequently asked for advice on electronics and have always recommended Sony to my friends and family.

I realize hardly any manufacturer has international service but this has left a bad taste in my mouth and I can't justify buying another Sony. I bought my last Xperia in another country while I was living there, and after moving lost support too. These regional centers and lack of international service is outdated.

All I want to restore my faith in the brand is a Sony tech to look at the phone. I realize I have no warranty but I that I can't get any support anywhere is frustrating.

Genius
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi again @Mavicanuck,

I see, in my experience phones from other markets might be tricky to have sent for repairs. I completely understand your frustration, I'd probably feel the same way in your situation.

I'm not sure how strong your consumer rights are in Canada, but if this is bought from a local store I'd recommend looking into contacting an ombudsman or similar to see if you can return the phone or have it replaced.

I've also done some digging. It looks like the Z5 Compact is not released on the Canadian market, but I can't say for sure since I'm not based in that market.

However, it looks like it is released in the USA. I can't promise anything but it could be worth a shot contacting our support for USA in order to check if you can have your phone repaired there, their e-mailaddress is "questions.us@support.sonymobile.com". You can also find contact information on the following link: http://support.sonymobile.com/us/contactUs/

Do note that if you are able to have your phone sent for repairs in the USA there will most likely be a cost considering that the phone is from Hong Kong and that the warranty isn't global, the US support team should be able to answer this though as they will have more information on local procedures than I do.

Learner
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Hello Sony,

When I read your reply, my confidence in Sony drops...

"Other chargers may be too weak or too strong as they may have a different electric current rating (mA). "

A charger can be too weak, but not if you use the charger you always charged your phone with, and it most certainly does not have to be a Sony charger. This is complete nonsense

Moreover, a charger can never be too strong. If you use a 2A charger, and the phone charges normally with 1A, the phone will still charge with 1A. So this is also nonsense.

Help people with their problems, and don't post all this nonsense!

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

I know this thread is several months but it is nearly exactly the same problem I am having. I.e., Xperia Z5 Compact bought from a US seller of non-US phones. I broke screen and Sony would not support. IMechanic tried for months to repair screen and did a poor job, so I learned to do it myself. Phone worked fine, except shortly after purchase it stopped connecting to PC by USB. I update USB drivers, Xperia Companion, tried different cables, all to no effect. But no biggy, I used MyPhoneExplore by wifi when I need access to the phone. 

Then quite sometime after the diy screen repair, I lost the ability to charge normally. I would plug phone into Sony charger, red light would come on, then Sony logo, and battery I think but no animation, then black, red light and it repeated this without charging. In fact it drained the battery. 

Inconsistently I could get it to charge by USB to my laptop by doing reboot by holding vol up and power button till 3 vibes, and then holding volume down while plugging in usb cable. Green light came on.

I  seem to be able to charge it more consistently by now by pressing the yellow button by in the SIM area and holding for 2 minutes for a complete shutdown, and then holding down vol up while plugging in charger. I am so tired of holding and unbent paperclip on the yellow button, I have devised a tool to do it more easily.

I called Sony support in USA, and one time a guy actually gave me an RMA so I had hope that Sony was going to stand behind their product. But after two weeks I got it back with a sorry letter that they could not work on a phone from another market. 

That put me over the edge so I wrote Sony Mobile CEO before he retired, which just got me some emails and phone calls and a lot more sorries. They suggested I try the Netherlands as someone thought my phone came from there. But no help identifying contact info to do that.

I don't know why I cannot give up on this phone. I guess I really liked it when it worked. It was perfect for my needs, but I will find it hard to buy another Sony after this Xperience. . . .

I have replaced the USB port, but that made no difference. If anyone has come up with a better solution to get this phone to at least charge normally, I would really like to try it.  If I thought it would do any good, I would be willing to root the phone and try other software, but this seems like a hardware problem to me, except why would it charge in fastboot mode at all?