account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Notifications peeking option

Adviser
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Notifications peeking option

Hello!

So this problem isn't only with my Xperia Z5 Dual, it was also on my old Xperia Z, the notifications peeking/heads up doesn't work with all the apps, it does on the other Lollipops+ devices (like Nexus or Samsung). It only works on few apps (Gmail, YouTube, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Messaging, Calendar, Facebook and Messenger, and weirdly Viber, started working out of the sudden just now!) It's not a new issue tho! And pretty weird to see that working really fine on other non Xperia devices, the peeking option is On and no apps are accessing the notifications. Thanks!
Xperia Z5 Dual E6633 6.0.1
11 REPLIES 11
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Notifications peeking option

have you ever seen it work in an Xperia device ? if not then it might be that xperia doesn't support or have this feature,.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Genius
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Hi @_psycho,

By peeking, are you referring to a message dropping down on the display regardless of what app you are using? Similar to what you can see on this link: http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/peeking-android-m.gif

Could you provide some examples on what applications it is that are not working?

Keep me posted!

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

@nolramlb

Not sure about that but why the toggle is available in the apps notification settings if it's not supported..
Adviser
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

@Didrik yeah that's what I meant. And apps like "Kik, Instagram, Play Store, and almost all games like Dead Trigger, Shadowgun, Sky Force"
Genius
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Hi again @_psycho,

As far as I know this is controlled by each individual app. The system itself allows app peeking but each application has to enable it in order for it to work.

I'll see if I can get some confirmation on this.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Hello @Didrik
I don't know exactly but it does work fine on non Xperia devices :/..
Genius
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Hello again,

I've just received confirmation that app peeking is allowed by the system but controlled on an application level, meaning that each individual application controls if this will work or not. There are no settings to change this I'm afraid.

You can find more thorough information about how notifications work on Google's developer forum, found on the following link: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html#Heads-up

Note that I can unfortunately not comment on the information you find there.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Since I've updated to Nougat I experience strange notifications with the heads up (peeking) in the screen when you receive a Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger etc.

With Android 6 it was possible to get a notification with sound and vibrate, but NO heads-up/peeking option. That was great! Now you can disable the peeking option, but it doesn't also vibrate and make a sound then. This is very annoying.

Who know a solution? Now it comes every in my screen when I get a Whatsapp and when you are browsing sometimes you click on the notification and you go immeditaly onlline... Not very great. 

Learner
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

@Grooveman1

Hehe, i want the complete opposite...  I don't have peeking and want to enable it Slightly smiling Face funny.

In this thread it has been mentioned that the app must support peeking in order to work. Can someone confirm that the official Email app on my Xperia XZ doesn't support it? Peeking doesn't work there.

But i couldn't find any kind of email app either that would work on my Xperia for peeking.

Outlook, Nine to name the big names, none of them peeks.

Viber, Messages, Calls, Whatsapp peek fine, but no email...

I am coming from the iphone, where each and every app peeks as a standard feature of iOS core, it's not up to the app to decide. In this regard, Android is behind. In iOS i can control this behavior for every app i install, independent of it's support for it. Still a way to go for Android on the notification path to reach iOS.