account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

No active fingerprint sensor

Visitor
Message 1 of 33
Message 1 of 33

No active fingerprint sensor

Hello everybody,

since a few days, i have problems with my fingerprint sensor.

There was a shortly info in the locked screen "fingerprint sensor is not available"

After this, the sensor didn't work anymore and there's also no option for this in the security-menue.

As i've seen in the internet, this is an issue regarding  US-devices.

I've bought and use it in Germany (o2/Telefonica).

Do you have some infos for me ?

32 REPLIES 32
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 33
Message 2 of 33

Re: No active fingerprint sensor

can you try to boot up in safe mode?

or run XPeria Diagnostics ,, settings>about phone>diagnostics

if you recently upgraded your device you can try to perform software repair using Xperia Companion

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Visitor
Message 3 of 33
Message 3 of 33

also in the safe mode there is no option for the fingerprint.

In the security menue, the first option is about the screen lock.

phone was updated at 01.04.2016 - Marshmellow 6.0.1

the diagnostics also don't show any fingerprint sensor Slightly frowning Face

i hoped to avoid the software repair as all data getting lost, but at least i will try (inclusive a backup)

Maybe you have some more tipps ?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 33
Message 4 of 33

Hi @Matze87,

I'm sorry to hear that.

I recommend that you try a software repair using Xperia Companion, since it also isn't present in safe mode. When the fingerprint manager doesn't show up it is because the phone does not detect it properly.

In case it persists after a software repair, I recommend that you contact your Local support in order to have it sent to service.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Message 5 of 33
Message 5 of 33

There was another thread here:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Fingerprint-scanner-unable-to-be-use-...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 6 of 33
Message 6 of 33

Apart from much effort, the repair via pc companion has changed nothing.... Slightly frowning Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 33
Message 7 of 33

I'm sorry to hear that.

I would recommend sending your device to an authorized service center as the next step, in order to have it examined by a technician. To do so, please contact your Local support.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 8 of 33
Message 8 of 33

Wanted to let you guys know i have the same issue. Got my Z5 compact in March here in the UK (purchased UK version from Amazon UK), fingerprint scanner worked great until Thursday when i had a brief message saying the hardware wasn’t available. after a restart no message and no sign of fingerprint manager anywhere. Did a Software Repair using Xperia Companion made no difference and starting into safe mode makes no difference. 

Will send it to Sony support today - but how annoying to have no phone for a few weeks.

Rookie
Message 9 of 33
Message 9 of 33

Don't send it to the repair centre. Just read a post from someone who sent their phone back for a Bluetooth problem and got told their screen was damaged and was charged £118. That happened exactly to me but it was an upgrade problem. The repair centre rip you off and it costs you £118. Never buy Sony again
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 33
Message 10 of 33

I have used the official Sony repair process 3 times and I have never ran into problems like that.  I'm sure they would only charge for you a new screen if the phone needed a new screen.

I had a new screen, frame, back and 3.5mm jack fitted to my Z3 last year total bill was £76.  Fair to say I was over the moon with that price.  They did break the camera in the process which I didn't discover until the device was returned to me, but another trip to the repair centre had the camera swapped FOC.