account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

No Stereo sound during video recording at Z5 compact

Rookie
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

No Stereo sound during video recording at Z5 compact

Hello.

It is really weird, but Xperia Z5 compact can not record STEREO sound in video.

This is 2015 and you think that users will accept mono audio even in 4k video.

Are you serious?

Even my nokia N8 can record nice stereo.

P.S. Actually N8 camera in most cases takes better shots than Z5, despite slow matrix and really awful software Slightly smiling Face 

8 REPLIES 8
Master
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: No Stereo sound during video recording at Z5 compact

Hi there. Xperia Z5 Compact can record stereo audio in the video player. You can check the service menu to see if there are any issues with the 2nd microphone. *#*#7378423#*#* > Service test 

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Greetings.

There is a stereo sound. I'm sorry. BUT I've found some awkward bug/or feature.

If I'm recording video with wired headset it will use microphone from headset to record audio. Thus there will be mono audio stream.

I do not think that phone should use microphones from wired or bluetooth headset  by default while recording video.

At least I MUST have some notification (icon for example) that will show me that external microphone is used.

And also it will be better to have such option as disabling external mic usage.

As I can understand support for external mic is only useful if I will connect sony stereo microphone to my phone. And this is pretty rare case.

Regards.

Talent
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

rumatoest it is so normal that device will use exterior microphone if you plug same in it...but option to choose defoult mic could be helpful I agree.

Demigod
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have a Sony digital noise cancelling headset, but if you do. Try to use that while you're recording video.

That would help for stereo sound and also would provide binaural effect on your video. Thats because the headset have both left & right microphone for noise cancelling and the mic will also be activate for video recording to capture sound for left & right input.

uliwooly, have also comment on your other post about this.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Xperia-Z5-external-microphones-for-vid...

Rookie
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Bandolero wrote: 

I'm not sure if you have a Sony digital noise cancelling headset, but if you do. Try to use that while you're recording video.

Actually it was Nokia wired headset, and Z5 used it to record mono audio without any questions Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

I'm not sure if the nokia headset has a dual mic design just like the DNC headset for Sony.

The reason why the Z5 will work on the Sony DNC headset, because that has a dual mic configuration for voice recordings that will recognise left and right side.
Apprentice
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

I John the Club. I have a brandnew Z5. And all screencaptures Are missing the ingame voice.
Sad thing. Disable mic, record ingame would bei awsome. My dream of recording Games and upload them is falling Appart.
Rookie
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

I ran the service test suggested above:

*#*#7378423#*#* 

And the recorded sound was very very faint.  How do I increase the mic's input level on a z5 compact with nougat 7.1.1?

Thanks 

Ian