account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

New Z5 keeps corrupting my SDcard.. 3 times in 6 days..

Learner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

New Z5 keeps corrupting my SDcard.. 3 times in 6 days..

Just last week I got myself a brand new Xperia Z5 Dual Sim after I dropped my Xperia Z3 Dual Sim and destroyed 70% of it's touch screen Crying Face

After arrival I updated the Z5 directly  to android 6.0 and since I have it (6 days now) It corrupted my sd card 3 times already.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB XC card that i've formatted to FAT32.

With my Z3 that I've been using for the last 2.5 years I used the same card and it corrupted exactly once.

This happened when I had moved some apps to the SDcard and at some point it just got corrupted.

Since then I never put apps on the SDcard anymore, just a bunch of (backup) files.

So it's a bit strange.. in 6 days corrupting 3 times with only (non active) files on the disk on a card that worked smoothly for 2.5 years.

As far as I can remember the first 2 times it happened when rebooting the phone.

The third time (just now) I am 100% just it happened while rebooting the phone (I used the power button to restart it).

Any chance there is a way to fix a "corrupt" card without reformating it??

Or any chance this issue can be addressed? Slightly smiling Face

Other wishes:

#1 I really hope that the Stamina mode returns.. the z5 hardly lasts me a day while the z3 would at least go for 1.5 days.

I'm not too impressed by the build in Android saving stuff. Stamina was way better and had more control

#2 Any chance we can get the camera shortcut-widgets back? Slightly smiling Face

I gotten used to having the different camera moves (panorama / 4k vid /manual etc) directly on the 'desktop'

#3 It would also be awesome to have the smartlock to work with the home wifi. It saves baterry to leave the GPS off (I know how to navigate in my home Winking Face and would be great to just leave my phone unlocked while on my trusted wifi connection.

---------------------- My Xperia's ----------------
X1 - X2 - U - SP - M dual - Z3 dual- Z5 dual
9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: New Z5 keeps corrupting my SDcard.. 3 times in 6 days..

Hi @nixx_nl,

The SD card itself may be faulty. Does this issue occur with any other SD cards?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Hi Cameron,

I haven't tested other sd cards as they are slower and smaller.

The card works fine in the Z3 .. just not in the Z5 (and content is still readable on the PC after the Z5 says it's corrupt..)

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

I would suggest you to try a different sd card if you have one, i think your card may start to give way. since you have also formated it already.

to answer the rest of your question, as per below.

1. Stamina mode - dont know if there is gonna be any near future.

2. nolonger anything like previous android version, unless you download some third party widget app to do that.

But the workaround to directly get access to the camera mode you want I.E 4K, panorama and etc.. follow the steps below.

Home Screen > Widgets > Shortcuts > Camera > select the option you want and on your home page will have a shortcut to the option you have selected.

3. Yup no WI-Fi option as for now i think, but this is what other options you can look into and this app support Wifi for smartunlock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.loadinghome.smartunlock

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

@nixx_nl,

You mentioned the card had corrupted previously. Whether or not this card can be read on other devices isn't so important as if your Z5 itself is corrupting the card. Do you have another SD card that you can test this with?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Aah, thanks for that link to the smart lock! will give it a shot.

I also wasn't aware I could make a shortcut to a camera mode myself.. perfect!

Just for the fun of it I'll try the other SD card for a few days.

The other corruption happened over a year ago and then never since.

(this was while I had 5 apps moved to it and it dropped out often while using google translate + played music from it at the same time)

So for me it's a bit strange that it now suddenly happens so often after switching to a new phone.

But I shall test another card.

What was the reason btw to have changed the fileformat of the card ?

Adept
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Same thing happened with me too, i was using sony class 10 32gb memory card. The card was bought from sony centre. After restarting the phone card got corrupted. And now when i am using the card on computer using adapter, it us unable to format the card, the cards data is being shown properly. And in the phone it is showing corrupt sd card. Is there any way in which I can get the sd card back to working
Learner
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

ok, i think the issue was that I had my spotify files still on the SD card.

Running it now without any 'active' app-files on the SD card and so far no crash

Rookie
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

I backed up all my stuff to the existing SD card and now when I did a reinstall all my photos are missing. 

Blaming it on the SD card alone will not make any sense as it was being used since last year and there were no issues. 

If the phone copied the picuteres into the SD then it must remain in it ! This is not the case.

Very disturbed by the turn of events and there seems to be a pattern in the back up to SD card etc from most users.

The reason to do the back up was because the service centre wanted me to reinstall entire phone due to heavy battery drain when idle (battery got drained from 100% to 34% when idle). I first removed all the apps I can think of then when it didn't work I had to do a reinstall. 

Now the phone doesn't show my pictures only a black space with broken frame. 

One time poster
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Disappointed in the z5 premium dual e6883 so far... corrupting sd cards over 32gb, hd problems seeing when connected to computer via usb cable(had to install some exotic drivers that took me hours to find the answer... usa support didn't know crap), does not auto- d/l the apn's(a real pain because i travel alot and everywhere i go, i have to manually put in the apn's)... never had any of these probles with my Z3 dual... I've had over 5 sony smart phones over the yrs, and this is pushing me towards samsung...  USA support for the dual is obtrocious.. Get told its an international phone??? so is sony dumping less of a product overseas? Mr 1st bad experience with Sony, but enough to make me lose my brand loyalty...